Does anyone on this own a boat?

brian.mobile

If so, what kind, a cruiser, cuddy?

Do you get much use of it where you are? Any pros and cons of ownership (shared or otherwise)

What sort of running cost (berths etc) would one expect?

BM

Probably on a lower scale to what you're enquiring about, but own a 4 metre RIB with 30HP engine.

It is my first boat and a perfect entry level set up. It's on a trailer and can be launced and taken out solo. It is perfect for lake and sea and offers a good sense of security due to 3 seperate buoyant pockets on the inflated ring.

Wasn't very anxious about buying, as RIB's hold a good re-sale and I did buy secondhand.

Can't think of any non-obvious cons, but do know someone for whom shared ownership was a disaster relating to treatment, maintenance and care.

Just sold a 6mtr Humber Rib with 135hp engine - a lot of money to spend on a rib €30k+ - sold because we felt we weren't getting enough use out of it. TBH Ireland just doesn't get the necessary weather for Ribs. Even on a glorious day - you still need plenty of layers. Think you're based in Cork which is great for boats - the inner harbour is very safe and there are plenty of places (ie pubs/restaurants) to visit by boat which are all in very close proximity. ie Crosshaven, Cobh, Monkstown, Marlogue, etc.

The last rib was in joint ownership which took some of the sting out of the costs - incl. maintenace but like a partnership there is always someone who is going to do more than the other! If you are going to buy with someone - try and get 2 fuel tanks - just one less thing to argue about! It also helps to have the same thoughts on maintenance - it isn't going to work if one of you is neurotic about cleaning (using a toothbrush) while the other thinks a hose down is sufficient!

Berths in Crosshaven are like gold dust but a berth is essential if you have children. You don't want to be messing with trailers, tide times AND children! You could always try Marlogue for a berth - probably a lot cheaper too!

Oysterhaven Boats have some great some great new & used ribs & cruisers. I would def. recommend a cruiser if you have children - great to have space downstairs or at least indoors if/when it rains! http://www.oysterhavenboats.com/