Does anyone know someone who will put down wood floor?

M

Marcus1

I have solid Pine floor I want to get put down, can anyone recommend a place where I can get it done for cheap?

What part of the country are you in ?? There are plenty of well abled floor fitters out there but there also a load of chancers. If you get something done cheap, it doesn't mean that it will be right.

Put it down yourself. You'll most proberably do a better job then most of those so called "fitters " that are out there. As mentioned above there are a lot of chancers out there.

[broken link removed]

LD Carpentry is very good, put down my wood floors a while back with no issues.

I'm with Paddyboy99. I never tried it before and with some guidance, I've done a pretty good job. For the first floor I used a homemade set of levers/short planks to wedge the glued planks together. I glued 4 planks, then let them dry while i did 4 more in the adjacant room, and so on. Then I got ratchet clamps in a diy store in France for €8 each - they cost €25-30 here. Made the job a doddle for one man. I used evostick wood glue (1 green bottle is nearly enough for a room). Remove skirting and clean the floor. Lay out the underflooring. The standard white cheap one is ok for most floors - and cheap. A man "in the know" suggested I should have also put down sheets of newspaper/ wallpaper to improve sound proofing.My problem was the cheap all-in-one door frames the builders used. You could floor up to the door and get a premade edge to finish the look. I removed the door frame and raised the whole lot so the boards went under the frame. It's a lot of bother but looks good. I wouldn't have done it unless DIY expert dad in law showed me.
Have a go. The varnishing is the worst bit!

what kind of investment in tools is necessary ? I suppose you can hire what you need ?
Totally depends on if you are going to cross batton or glue. This will depend on your timber length. Short lengths will require cross battons.
All tools can be hired.
Don't forget your spacing. The worsh critical error someone can make. Depending on the board width but I had four inch rustic oak and put a spacer in every sixth board. Gaps closed in about two weeks.
Very rewarding when you look back and say you've done it yourself.
I saved approximately 2,000 and had it knocked out in a weekend.

Back