Does anyone know how much of the M7 motorway is opening?

Limerick to outskirts of city (also known as the bypass) is open. Limerick to Birdhill delayed due to a partial collapse of the road near Annahoulty bog.
Birdhill to Nenagh (including the bypass) is open - though a tiny section is reduced to one lane in each direction.
Nenagh/Toomevarra to Portlaoise under construction
Portlaoise to Naas - open and Naas to Dublin (N7) is open.

The next section from Portlaoise south is opening on the 28th of May. I'm not sure how far south this will go.

While this is good news, the bad news is that there's a toll bridge on it just south ot Portlaoise.

See www.midlink.ie

Any reason why part of the Birdhill to Nenagh section is down to one lane ? I've passed it many times and cannot work out why it's like this.

Like mentioned there is a large discussion on boards.ie and I contribute over there myself.

I also live pretty near the "bog of doom" and have a look every so often and not much changes.

It will not be open until the end of year which is the latest NRA report.

The Tunnel passing under the Shannon in Limerick City will open in September which is the beginning of the M7 out of Limerick, it will have to break off onto the old N7 at the Newport Roundabout in Limerick and rejoin at Birdhill in Co Tipperary and continue towards Dublin.

The Castletown to Portlaoise is due to open as well on the 28th May.

I also live pretty near the "bog of doom" and have a look every so often and not much changes.

Hi Folder,

Whats the story with the "Bog of Doom". I remember seeing signs about 12 years ago saying things like "no motorway through our bog" and " turf out the NRA". I put it down to a few village idiots standing in the way of progress....but maybe they were right!

aj

Hi Folder,

Whats the story with the "Bog of Doom". I remember seeing signs about 12 years ago saying things like "no motorway through our bog" and " turf out the NRA". I put it down to a few village idiots standing in the way of progress....but maybe they were right!

aj

There were rumours of a farmer who told them not to build a road through it because it will sink. He told them of a tractor which he left on the bog the night before which then sank into the ground.

Its called the Annaholty bog which is the current problem. There is another bog but then were able to build the road through it with no current issues.

The actual bog road which runs under a nearby flyover and off towards the R503 is like a rollercoaster. Then again it was not built with the same engineering advances the M7 was but then again the M7 cannot be open in its current state.

The contractor says it should be open by the end of the year but cannot tell anybody what they are doing. Odd.

Back