Does anyone know anyone who joined the French Foreign Legion?

Caveat

Just interested.

Were they successful and any feedback to report?

I 'know of' 2 guys but I don't 'know' them and have no idea how they got on.

Did you see that show on CH4 last year with Bear Grylls? Fantastic - was trying to find it on DVD for the auld fella but no luck.

No it's not.

Right then, I'll just join myself and do my own research - then you'll be sorry.

So I have exactly 11 months to become fluent in French, hone my body to the peak of physical perfection and to make preparations to leave my former life behind me.

How hard can it be?

I used to work with a guy who was in the foreign legion for a few years. Not in contact with him so cant ask him about it now. I recall hims saying he joined in his early 20s to do something different. I think he was into fitness, healthy living, hiking/camping etc. What struck me was how normal he was - you would have no idea he's an ex-legionnaire unless he told you. Was doing a normal office job.

I hear one of the tests they give you is when you arrive to sign up they ask you to wait here ( in a room with chair and table ) and somebody will be with you. They don't say that the person will arrive 20 hours later That might be just a story though.

Try this link

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

Do they still provide you with a new identity after you've done your service ?

What was that story about a training course in some jungle or other (Guyana?) where they completed the course in a couple of hours but the US Delta Force guys failed to complete it at all....

Do they still provide you with a new identity after you've done your service ?

I think you can opt to keep your 'new' identity but if you want French citizenship - which you are entitled to on successful completion of so many years - you must use your real identity. So it's an either/or AFAIK. Your decision depends a lot on your previous background I suppose.

Edit: just checked Niallers' link - I was more or less right and it's 3 years. Apparently you must join under an assumed identity.

What was that story about a training course in some jungle or other (Guyana?) where they completed the course in a couple of hours but the US Delta Force guys failed to complete it at all....

Yeah - off the coast of French Guyana: Devil's Island.
I saw a documentary about this & the US guys. Very tough.

The bould Hector met an Irish lad in the FFL in a base in South America. It was covered on the show and the book. Seemed a fairly sound/normal chap by my vague recollection.

On a more exciting note, was a Cork lad on Last Word or Hook about 18 months ago, a mercenary (soldier for hire), tales of various gun fights in Iraq etc. I missed the name of the book but it sounded good.

As a general opinion, I'd say being a soldier is a crap life, taking orders, free time restricted, maybe getting "a bullet in the kisser" as they might say in a Sean O'Casey play. Plus your comrades mightnt be of the best stock (is it just me or do Irish soldiers/ex-soldiers turn up unusually often in court cases for various violent crime?). So an option for those with few options. Cadets maybe a bit better but much the same IMHO.

So I have exactly 11 months to become fluent in French, hone my body to the peak of physical perfection and to make preparations to leave my former life behind me.

Which of these three challenges will prove mosy difficult?

BTW just to be clear, when I say I am interested I mean in the subject/the life. I'm not remotely interested in joining.

Which of these three challenges will prove mosy difficult?

Buy a phrase book, do a few press-ups and then just feck off. Easy.

Try reading the book by this guy- fantastic read - Dad gave it to me a few years back - I wonder was he trying to tell me something....

I knew a fella who joined. I dated him for a bit in my youth (while he was between stints as a legionairre). He had some crazy stories!!! One of the nicest lads you could meet - he loved it, but he was as hard as nails, really physically fit and strong and a tough mofo (all in a good way, he wasnt a sinister character at all).

His induction process stories were pretty scary.

Try reading the book by this guy- fantastic read - Dad gave it to me a few years back - I wonder was he trying to tell me something....

Thanks EF.

I'm telling you though, if my wife 'suggested', just as I was easing into retirement, that I embark on a trek to the south pole, I would wonder if she was trying to tell me something too!