Does anyone have info on "ytong" blocks from ecostein ltd in waterford.

P

ptennyson

hi all
does anyone have info on ytong blocks from ecostein ltd in waterford.saw them at building show at weekend and seem interesting as regards their u-value and simplicity in building and also the ability to have a passive house in using them.
a few houses being built in kilkenny with them at the minute and owners are delighted so far.
thanks....

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Can you confirm please if you have any association with the company mentioned especially in light of the fact that you are a first time poster?

Thanks,

sueellen.

hi all
does anyone have info on ytong blocks from ecostein ltd in waterford.saw them at building show at weekend and seem interesting as regards their u-value and simplicity in building and also the ability to have a passive house in using them.
a few houses being built in kilkenny with them at the minute and owners are delighted so far.
thanks....

Interested in your comment on building a passive house using them. For a passive house the external walls need have a U-Valud of 0.15 or better.

A ytong wall by itself doesn't appear to be able to get close to that. You'd have to add another layer of insulation.

How were ecostein claiming you could go passive?

To reply to Sas's comment regarding U-value's and what can be achieved using Ytong blocks I have conducted a little research on the Ytong International Website where they list lambda values for their blocks.

For their standard block the lambda value is quoted as being 0.09 W/mK. A block which is 365mm wide achieves a U-Value of 0.23 in only one leaf. On Ecostein's website you can see their current projects, one of which is in Killiney, where they are using a 480mm block in single leaf. This achieves a U-value of 0.16 and has a slightly lower lambda value of 0.08 W/mK. This is extremely close to the passive house benchmark of U-Value 0.15.

Ecostein achieves passive house standard by using a cavity system. On their website you can see another project at Ballyline Stud Co. Kilkenny, where the system they are using comprises of an external leaf of 240mm Ytong block and an internal leaf of 240mm Ytong block with 100mm insulation in between. This achieves a U-Value of 0.12.

I hope this information has cleared up some questions about the Ytong blocks.

Hi Polonius, welcome to AAM. Very informed post there, but in accordance with the posting guidelines, could you confirm whether you have any association with the above companies other then being a satisfied customer?
Thanks,
Leo

In response to Leo's question regarding company affiliation, and having now read the posting guidelines, it is now my responsibility to report that I am affiliated with the above mentioned companies. Sorry about the confusion as I initially neglected to read the posting guidelines.

To reply to Sas's comment regarding U-value's and what can be achieved using Ytong blocks I have conducted a little research on the Ytong International Website where they list lambda values for their blocks.

For their standard block the lambda value is quoted as being 0.09 W/mK. A block which is 365mm wide achieves a U-Value of 0.23 in only one leaf. On Ecostein's website you can see their current projects, one of which is in Killiney, where they are using a 480mm block in single leaf. This achieves a U-value of 0.16 and has a slightly lower lambda value of 0.08 W/mK. This is extremely close to the passive house benchmark of U-Value 0.15.

Ecostein achieves passive house standard by using a cavity system. On their website you can see another project at Ballyline Stud Co. Kilkenny, where the system they are using comprises of an external leaf of 240mm Ytong block and an internal leaf of 240mm Ytong block with 100mm insulation in between. This achieves a U-Value of 0.12.

I hope this information has cleared up some questions about the Ytong blocks.

I am considering using this for the winter home in the Philipines, and am concerned about lack of breathability. Labor is cheap, so cost is not too bad, any advice?

Back