does anyone else find the onscreens DOGS on TG4 GAA annoying?

NOAH

I was trying to watch the KEERY V TYRONE game yester day on TG4 GAA BEO but in the end gave up. I know the result. What got on my wick was that the oncreen clock/teams/scores was halfway down the screen. And then to cap it all the other side of the screen had TG4 In a white box but it was higher up! Also during the match 2 black blobs flashed up I think it was a replay thingy but so annoying. Anyway I sent an email last night to TG4 and I started it off by saying " I despair .. etc" and set out my gripes. Here is the reply.

"I’m glad that you enjoy our GAA coverage. The graphic on the top left hand side of the screen is there to assist the viewer. It establishes that you are watching TG4, gives the time clock, the participating teams and the score. The reason it is positioned slightly down the screen is to accommodate viewers – some people watch in 4 : 3 format, others watch in 16 ; 9 format ratio. I believe the white bug on the right hand side of the screen is not intrusive at all. I do not accept the graphics are awful – they are there to help the viewers, some of which will watch a programme from start to finish, others who may not. We review our output on a regular basis and your comments will be considered as part of that ongoing review."

Am I the only one??

noah

Hi Noah,
They must have just recently changed it? If so I'm afraid to admit our TV is one that the amendment was made to accomodate. As I was watching the Kerry V's Donegal game on Feb 1st and other than knowing who was playing found the graphics were too far and too compacted on the upper left of the screen.

Bingo, that explains it. They must have put it out as 16:9 first and changed it in such a way they cant get it wrong. They could easily drop the tg4 bit in white on the other side to give me back some of my screen but not a chance.

What really bugs me is the BBC do it right but no one will follow their lead.

Oh well I have complained to GAA but doubt if they will do anything.

I cant take my eyes off those BUGS and they ruin Plasma tv's as well.

The world is mad. I missed the punch up at the end of the Kerry Game.

I'll wait for NETWORK 2 and hope it is better but they insist on placing RTE TWO onscreen to annoy me as well.

I wish those marketing companies who dreamt up all this onscreen rubbish go bust.

noah

You complained to TG4 and the GAA?

I watch TG4 often and I have to say it has never bothered me.

I am very impressed that they responded so quickly.

You are not alone. I cant get my eyes off them and it does not matter what tv I am watching. So to make my life easier they could at least take off one while a game is being played. I am experimenting with a zoom facility on the plasma and that may sort it but methinks that's why they are so far down the screen ie you cant get rid.

As I said I hope the recession kills thos marketing geeks, it costs a fortune to keep these things onscree. And you will noticed they get re-vamped ever so often ie a makeover, more money wasted.

noah

Back