Does Amplifier/Splitter need power?

Slim

When our televisions were 'wired' up, a splitter was installed and wired into one of the upstairs light cables. That splitter was changed about 5 years ago and this week the signals have gone. Basically, the direct feed from the aerial to the kitchen TV and skybox is fine but from there the cable goes to the splitter and relays to 5 other TVs. When we looked in the attic last night we found an 'F180 Amplifier/Splitter' but it was attached to no power source!
(a) Does this box have an internal battery that has just run out?
(b) Can I power this box or do I need to instal the new one I bought?

Thanks

Slim

Last edited:
Any device claiming to be an amplifier will need a power source.

Is this the one you have [broken link removed]?
Leo

SPOT ON LEO! Now, if it has to be powered and it says it can be powered by coaxial cable, then can I assume the cable has given up? As far as I can see, there is one cable inwards - I think that comes via the skybox(?) but I may be wrong. THe skybox is in the kitchen alongside the main aerial input. That TV has perfect pictures on both terrestrial and sky. The problem lies in the relaying to other rooms. What can be wrong? Slim

If you have the optional 'DC Inserter', then it's using the 9V available on the RF2 feed from the Sky box.

Make sure the co-ax cable feeding this is plugged into the RF2 socket on the Sky box. Make sure the DC power is enabled on RF2 (use your Sky remote: SERVICES, 4, 0, 1, SELECT to access the hidden instalation menu and select the RF Output option and make sure the power option is switced on)

If the RF2 power is enabled, and the cable is securely connected at both ends, then there may be a break in the cable somewhere. The splitter itself may have given up the ghost too!

Do you have a small TV you could hook up to the cable that feeds the splitter? That would allow you to determine if the signal is reaching that point. If it is, then hook the TV up directly to the output of the splitter. If that doesn't work, the splitter is your issue.
Leo

+1
Good advice and well written Leo.

Thanks all. We have bypassed the splitter and joined the input cable to the output cable for the sitting room to give us pictures for a few days til we get this sorted. The sitting room is perfect so does that mean the problem is the splitter itself? CAn the coaxial cable from the skybox be working but not carrying the power? Will check the menu now. Thanks all, especially Leo.

Have checked the RF2 setting on the skybox and it is on. Does it sound like the splitter is gone? What cause the splitter to wear out?

Have checked the RF2 setting on the skybox and it is on. Does it sound like the splitter is gone? What cause the splitter to wear out?

Well thats the $64,000 question, isn't it?

What causes any electrical device to wear out, ie.TVs, Radios, etc.

No device lasts forever, and as your Amp/Splitter has solid state componants that are constantly switching state they will eventually wear out.

a power splitter can be bought in argos or woodies to split from the aerial not a good idea from skybox . Spliting 5 ways would weaken reception just unplug the ones you dont need

Thanks all. TV man was here today and the problem was a poor/loose/faulty (I wasn't here at the time) with the output at back of skybox. Doh! Feel a bit stupid....All well now again. Thanks again lads.

Slim

Last edited: