Dodgy maths at Dept. of Education?

ang1170

I read in today's Irish Times that €30m is to be spent in school building work, thus creating 3,000 jobs. Now, this is good news, and no doubt badly needed, so I definitely wouldn't object to or criticse the initiative.

However, did anyone even bother to do some simple sums to work out if these numbers make sense before the fanfare? The figure of €10,000/job kind of leaps out at one: either these are spectacularly badly paid, or of very short duration, or maybe, just maybe, there will be far fewer jobs actually created.

Thoughts, anyone?

Does something like that, that is finite in scope, deserve to be called a job ? More like a short-term contract.

Maybe they mean spin offs eg local coffee shop will hire someone extra because of business from the site workers.

Aparently the anouncement will be tomorrow, but a "spokesman said.....the anouncement will create 2,400 direct jobs, as well as 480 indirect...she added", so I wouldn't blame the journalist.

It won't create one single job. I am willing to bet that the private sector can abosrb the €30m worth of jobs using current capacity and not need to create one extra job. It might stop a few people from being laid off but it will not create jobs. And for this, I have my pension fund raided......

All they are doing is spending money on work that needs to be done. Not sure why it needs an announcement apart from bloody PR.

The figure of €10,000/job kind of leaps out at one:

Will the school building work be carried out over the summer.
So it's 10,000 for three months work. Sounds about right if you bring in tradesmen contractors for three months

That's just what I assumed