Dodgy broadband

Budgie

Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere else. I am sure it will be moved.

I have had eircom broadband for some months now (with the wireless router option). Sometimes its fine but other times the connection goes. When I look at the router the DSL light has gone off. I switch it off and on and it works again for another period. Not much point in having wireless when you have to run up and down the house!

Anyone know what the cause is? Grandma Budgie ("Old Bird") mentioned that switching the channel might help but am not sure if that idea will fly.

Budgie

PS Eircom "helpline" no use....

Budgie said:
PS Eircom "helpline" no use....
That's letting them off the hook a little lightly, isn't it? You're paying them generously for it each month, they should at least send you a replacement modem if it's not working... :rolleyes:

I occasionally have the same issue with both a wired and wireless router on BT. it seems a reset always fixes the issue. It may be a hardware issue, you might want to check if anyone else is having problems with this type of modem - there may be a firmware update.

Budgie said:
When I look at the router the DSL light has gone off. I switch it off and on and it works again for another period.
Could be the router crashing (is it running the latest firmware available?) or the line dropping for some other reason. You should be able to investigate further using the router's (usually web based) admin control panel interface. This should also include an option to re-establish the ADSL connection without needing to power on/off. I doubt that the problem is anything to do with the wireless aspects of the setup or the need to change 802.11 channel to avoid interference from other wireless LANs in the vicinity.

Back