Dodgy brakes on car - under warranty but want independant check also.

Clars1909

I got a 2nd hand 2005 Chevy Kalos from a dealership last November '09; it is under one years warranty. In January the brakes did not work once or twice when trying to deal with the snow and ice. Then after the weather cleared up I noticed that the brakes consistantly had a problem working 100% on uneven surfaces which got worse over time - where they failed to stop the car at all or quickly enough there was kind of a 'spongy' feeling and it felt like I was pressing the brake against the road itself I could feel any bumps or gravel under my foot.
I brought the car back to the dealership in April and they fixed the brakes under the warranty (they didn't say what was wrong), but that only lasted about 2 months and now the brakes are just as bad as ever on uneven surfaces or for quick stops - I've resorted to using the hand brake as well to be safe.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

I want to bring the car to an independent brake checking place for an opinion before I go back to the dealer again, are there any reasonably priced places like this that anyone has dealt with or knows of?

Thanks in advance guys..

Are you sure it's not the ABS system kicking in?

This will give a vibrating feel in the pedal if you brake on a slippy surface.

The brakes will apply and release as soon as the wheels are about to lock.

Well when the brakes act as I describe I would be in danger if I didn't apply the handbrake - and it happens on even slightly rough roads and on occasion when I have to brake suddenly- surely the ABS wouldn't affect the brakes in practically normal conditions?

Ok, noted - I'm getting the brakes checked in any case as I don't think this is ABS. Any recommendations as to a handy/reliable place around Drumcondra/Glasnvein/ Cabra areas? Ta.

It is the abs cutting in too early. Its usually caused by a defective wheel sensor. A check with the computer will pinpoint the defective sensor.

Thanks Caff, that sounds like a likely cause - I'll get the mechanic to check specifically.