Dodgy Attic Extension. What are our options?

MalMc

Hi All

In December we appointed a contractor to convert our attic. The work has been substandard and the builder has so far refused to send his architect/engineer to sign off the work. There are probably 5 or 6 little jobs that need to be done and considerable questions about insulation, leaks on chimney, location and support of water tank, final finish and quality of floor. Contractor has basically been promising since early in year to send architect out but is plainly lying. We have paid all apart from about final 5% of remaining price for leverage. We can't start decorating without engineer / architect signoff and cannot sell house without certificate of compliance.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and know any way to force contractor to finally finish all remaining jobs? We'd prefer not to have to go down the legal route but are prepared to do so to get this cowboy to finish the job we paid him to do.

Thanks!

I'd suggest that you employ your own architect/engineer to inspect the work and report on the work that needs to be finished or remedied. This report can be given to your builder giving him the opportunity to complete the work.

If he does not finish it satisfactorily you will need to employ somebody else to do it and consider if it is worthwhile going down the legal route to recoup your losses.

Terrible story to read. Get your own report - a qualified building surveyor is probably the best to assess and provide estimate of how much to put things right.
Have you log of attempts to get the contractor to fix matters. Send a letter / email with details and include any phone calls etc.
This is very stressful now - but work through it step by step and all will be sorted soon.

I'd suggest that you employ your own architect/engineer to inspect the work and report on the work that needs to be finished or remedied. This report can be given to your builder giving him the opportunity to complete the work.

If he does not finish it satisfactorily you will need to employ somebody else to do it and consider if it is worthwhile going down the legal route to recoup your losses.

Thanks for the reply. We are currently doing that and have another engineer due out later this week but as the current builder is not engaging with us and will not return calls or texts I am not sure how much use this will be. I feel a sternly worded letter threatening legal action delivered via registered post might be the only option.

Terrible story to read. Get your own report - a qualified building surveyor is probably the best to assess and provide estimate of how much to put things right.
Have you log of attempts to get the contractor to fix matters. Send a letter / email with details and include any phone calls etc.
This is very stressful now - but work through it step by step and all will be sorted soon.

Yes - i have a phone record of the numerous calls and texts made to him over the past 2 - 3 months. Incredibly stressful and annoying but it has gotten so bad i fear they must be winding their company up. Any reputable company worried about their reputation could surely not act in such a way. We have gotten three references beforehand and no negative reviews were to be found online but since we took them on i have found 2 or 3 new google reviews absolutely slating them. Strange.

Back