Dodgey Insurance Broker

Wiggles

Hi, my younger brother is trying to buy a car at the minute. He is 21 on a provisional license. A friend of his knows a broker that sorts out insurance for young people. The broker has said that Axa and Hibernian will allow my mother to take a second policy and leave my brother as a named driver. HE even managed to get a quote of €1700. Pretty good considering my brothers age and license.

This raised a few alarms when you consider that young people are paying €3000 + for this sort of policy. We rang both Axa and Hibernian and asked them is this true... both so said absolutely no way!

Is this broker pulling a fast one and leaving both my mother and brother open to insurance fraud??

If your brother goes with this broker and the insurance company subsequently find out by a claim or otherwise that your brother is in fact the main driver of the car, then the insurance company which has not been given the full details may decide that no cover was in force on the policy.

Yep.

One of the questions is "Will you (the proposer) be the main driver".

Anything other than the whole truth can invalidate the cover.

The broker has said that Axa and Hibernian will allow my mother to take a second policy and leave my brother as a named driver. HE even managed to get a quote of €1700.
This suggests that AXA and Hibernian are aware that the mother is not the main driver of at least one of the cars as surely if you have 2 policies then in all probability she is not the main driver of one. Of course they will dispute such claims if your brother has a crash and the question was specifically asked. Your brother could take the same nod and wink approach if they do dispute by stating that your mother always was the main driver. Which begs the next question : How does one prove either way without having video evidence who's telling the truth ?

Madra said:
This suggests that AXA and Hibernian are aware that the mother is not the main driver of at least one of the cars as surely if you have 2 policies then in all probability she is not the main driver of one. Of course they will dispute such claims if your brother has a crash and the question was specifically asked. Your brother could take the same nod and wink approach if they do dispute by stating that your mother always was the main driver.
Did you read the full thread, i.e. "We rang both Axa and Hibernian and asked them is this true... both so said absolutely no way!". Axa/Hib could only be complicit if they are already holding the mother's main policy. The OP didn't specify this one way or other, but I'm certain that both of them can't be holding the mother's main policy. I can't see any suggestion that Axa/Hib are complicit in the fraud.

The greedy broker is scamming for his commission. He'll be long gone by the time any claim gets investigated. This is fraud - Report this chancer to The phone number for Insurance Confidential the IIf's confidential lo-call line at 1890 333 333 as well as IFSRA.

Madra said:
Which begs the next question : How does one prove either way without having video evidence who's telling the truth ?
Don't underestimate the ability of insurance companies to find evidence if it helps them wiggle out of a claim. How hard would it be for them to pay a private detective to find the one nosey neighbour who'll be only too happy to testify as to who she saw driving the car from behind her net curtains? How hard will it be to get the CCTV tapes from the car park of the son's employer?

There is also the kernel of "utmost good faith" in any contract of insurance.

I think it would be quite obvious that some tarted up chav wagon wasn't primarily driven by a mother in her 40's or more!

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clarify, my mother does not hold a policy with either Axa or Hibernian. My mother did ring her own insurance company and they told her that some insurance companies will allow her to hold two policies and have my younger brother on one. They were very quick to point out that they do not do it..........

I think we will get the quote from the broker and find out which company he gets it from. Then ring the company direct and quiz them on it. Should uncover the truth, which I imagine is that as my original post states "The broker is dodgy"!

Back