Doctor Patient confidentiality and next of kin

danaforever

Hello, can anyone enlighten me please on the following situation? My father in law is currently seeing a psychiatrist and has been told to bring his next of kin to his next appointment with said psychiatrist. Both my husband and I along with his siblings feel that the psychiatrist may have asked for next of kin at the next session so that he can perhaps deliver some distressing medical news. (We feel that because healthwise my father in law has deteriorated rapidly over the last few months - not looking after himself, not eating, some memory loss etc). What is the procedure for giving out medical information and if next of kin is present, does the patient have to give permission for the next of kin to be notified/advised of any problems? I am not looking for any medical responses, just an opinion on why next of kin would be asked to attend this meeting. Any thoughts? Thanks as ever AAM.

Why not ask the psychiatrist why he wants a third party present next time? You may be jumping the gun in assuming that it's necessarily bad news. It could simply be part of the counselling approach.

It may not be a case that he is very ill but just as a precaution due to the fact that your father in law may be a danger to himself in some way. How old is he and does he live along. If he lives alone and needs to be taking medication it may simply be that next of kin are aware and checks in that he is taking it - again this may be because of age or forgetfulness.
Best of luck with it and hopefully it's something simple.

Why not ask the psychiatrist why he wants a third party present next time? You may be jumping the gun in assuming that it's necessarily bad news. It could simply be part of the counselling approach.

thanks Clubman, I hadn't thought of that. The next appointment is not until early October so I was wondering and I suppose looking for other reasons whey they would want next of kin and the the wait seems so long. Thank you.

he is only 62 but an old 62, he thinks 62 is elderly and he lives alone and has to take medication. Thank you.

Why not give the GP or psychiatrist a call to discuss the matters you raised above with them directly - i.e. not the father in law's condition per se but rather the reasons for needing a third party and the conventions for privacy etc. In my opinion you should ideally do this in the full knowlege and maybe presence of the father in law.

He may want to know more about the changes in the patient. generally medics only see patients after problems have begun, so don't know how much they've changed from normal. Or they want your opinion - collaleral history.

It may also be that, as your father-in-law has memory problems (short-term memory?) the psychiatrist has some recommendations that he wants to make sure are followed, but can't be sure that your father will remember them.

It may also be that because of his current condition, the psychiatrist does not feel that your father is capable of making the next decisions required for treatment and that it will be up to you to make them for him.

As I understand it, in the absence of an enduring power of attorney or a making your father a ward of court, there's a huge gray area regarding family/next of kin and treatment - the law doesn't seem to cater for a situation between someone nominating an attorney or the state providing the service. The medical profession have to do what they can in between the gap.

Best of luck. Don't fear the worst, it could be just depression (it can have all those symptoms).

thanks very much to all you. I feel heaps better and far more positive, whatever we are facing.