Do you use "Linked In"?(a business-oriented networking site)

colly

www.linkedin.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_in

How many of you guys use linkedin successfully for business? Have you paid for the upgraded account? How have you found it so far?

I have started using a little bit as I work in sales for a large IT company and it can be usefull for getting through to people in organisations that I want to talk to.

Any thoughts?

Re: Do you use "Linked In"?

How many of you guys use linkedin successfully for business? Have you paid for the upgraded account? How have you found it so far?
I have used it, but more just to have a look than anything else. Given my line of work it's not really all that prevelant/relevant... and would be of little use to me even if it was widely used.

I know of one user (family member based in the US) who has recieved multiple job offers and picked up a few new clients through it (IT based so far more relevant to them). Even for them, it was mostly just a way to get in touch with a few old college friends and ex work mates they'd lost touch with rather than a true networking tool.

Even for them, it was mostly just a way to get in touch with a few old college friends and ex work mates they'd lost touch with rather than a true networking tool.

What's a "true" networking tool?

What's a "true" networking tool?
Something which would be used
...for getting through to people in organisations that I want to talk to.
I'm not saying "Linked in" couldn't/isn't used for this, I just wanted to point out that this wasn't the main aim for the family member I mentioned.

To answer your original question, I don't use it, no.

I'm not saying "Linked in" couldn't/isn't used for this, I just wanted to point out that this wasn't the main aim for the family member I mentioned.

However, you are implying that there are some "true" networking tools out there, what are they in your opinion? I find LinkedIn useful for networking but would be very interested to here if there are better options.

I use it but mostly to keep contact details for former colleagues. I've used it once to ask someone I used to work with for a contact with a potential customer.

However, you are implying that there are some "true" networking tools out there, what are they in your opinion?
No. Or at least, I certainly didn't mean too.

I was clarifying that while I knew someone who had gained benefit from it (which was basically the OPs original query), this wasn't the reason they had originally joined and was possibly/potentially just lucky as they hadn't pro-actively sought this type of benefit.

[Linked In is the most apropriate site of this nature that I know of for the OP or yourself, it can be used to network... my point was simply that this wasn't the intended use for the family member I mentioned, who simply wanted to stay in touch with some old friends]

I like LinkedIn, however have never really used it as I find the thought of sending "connect with me emails" to people a little uncomfortable.

I registered some time back, and I've gradually built up to 40 connections, mostly former colleagues. I've haven't found many public sector people up there. I'm not using it for touting for business.

The algorithms that they use for identifying former colleagues seem scarily accurate, and often drag up names that I had long forgotten.

Fantastic tool if you use it right.

Also, build a reasonable number of contacts, so you can really access everyone you need.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/romualdas

Also, I suggest Viadeo (kinda better for Europe):
[broken link removed]