Do you think the media should contuine to use the word "congress " for ICTU

thedaras

Hi,I know there has been some discussion on the use of the word congress when speaking about the ICTU

However it is wrecking my head that the media are now using the word congress each and every time they speak of the ICTU.

Im thinking of making a complaint to RTE about it.as I think its misleading.
Imagine if you were a visitor from the USA and hear the media speak of congress said this /that or the other!!

How do you feel about it? Do you think they should contuinue to use it or do you think its misleading?

If they use congress for ICTU,what would they do for the employers union? Confederation?
So the conversation would be like this..
Congress and the Confederation are in talks

Im thinking of making a complaint to RTE about it.as I think its misleading. Imagine if you were a visitor from the USA and hear the media speak of congress said this /that or the other!!
I'm no walking lexicon but I think that this is a bit silly. The use of the word 'congress' as in 'congress of trade unions' is entirely reasonable; as would be 'troupe of clowns'.

This was discussed in another thread and I had never noticed it before but on RTE news this week they did constantly refer to ICTU as 'Congress'.
The logo shown on the news also had Congress in bold capitals and 'Irish Congress of Trade Unions' in smaller writing underneath.
Not personally bothered about it myself.

Do people think it is an intentional ploy to make ICTU sound more important?

I'm no walking lexicon but I think that this is a bit silly. The use of the word 'congress' as in 'congress of trade unions' is entirely reasonable; as would be 'troupe of clowns'.
In context, the word congress would be a noun...
And if this is acceptable how would you suggest the media refer to SIPTU
AcronymDefinitionSIPTUServices, Industrial, Professional & Technical Trade Union (Ireland)

Or INTO? etc..

I beginning to believe this is the case..

If one was a member of ICTU,would they say they are a member of Congress?..
Id imagine if someone wanted to make themselves sound more important than they are they would say, Im a member of Congress..
Great chat up line

I'm sure there's a question in there somewhere and I'm sure you are probably grammatically correct but I'm not to fussed about Queen's English; in Hiberno English I think it's fine.

The collective nouns for baboons are troop, rumpus and congress.

I said it before and I say it again.

ICTU using congress as headline in their posters, news releases and pamphlets is on purpse so that we get a warm feeling about how they represent all of us in these hard times as guardians our "democracy" right next to the glorified county council and the high council of the priests of the believers of cowen.

If you look at their website you can see this in action. It's Congress did this, Congress Vice Chair did that, People turned out to support Congress etc. . The real name of them is mentioned in small print in the logo and somewhere down the bottom of the page.

Now maybe I should join a union and call myself Member of Congress, that would work nicely for me on my CV.

Well said DublinTexas. RTE are a heavily unionised organisation and have never shied away from pushing a leftwing agenda. ICTU referring to themselves as “Congress” is more than just a sop to David Begg’s vanity, it is part of their insidious campaign to insert themselves into the middle of the democratic process. Every time I see these guys in action and hear them spout their bankrupt and discredited ideology I am reminded of the ending of Orwell’s Animal Farm.
I remember the quote from Paddy Prendiville in the Phoenix about Brendan Ogle’s book: 'ILDA and Brendan Ogle's story underlines how far modern Irish trade union leaders have strayed from the principles of the movement's founding fathers. It also suggests that a Faustian pact has been agreed by a handful of powerful trade unionists with the people they are supposed to protect their members from.'

ICTU is part of the establishment and yet claim that they are not part of the problem. Their leader has had more power in government for the last 10 years than most of the cabinet, he’s on the board of the Central Bank and yet he still sees fit to criticise that same government that he has been in the middle of. The hypocrisy is mindboggling.

If the lefties ever take over the country then they will be the Congress ala USSR etc.

I suppose its no different to the President of a local sports club calling him/herself "the President".

I suppose its no different to the President of a local sports club calling him/herself "the President".

Only if they did it in the national media and, in their publications, structured it as:

President
Local sports club

Inside local authorities the County Manager is often referred to as "Manager".

I might be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the Bank of Ireland is sometimes referred to as simply Bank.

Inside local authorities the County Manager is often referred to as "Manager".

I might be wrong but I remember reading somewhere that the Bank of Ireland is sometimes referred to as simply Bank.

that's like Pat Kenny being referred to as 'the Plank'.

Others questions here are who invited Congress into the centre of power and who has kept them there for the last 20 years.

Others questions here are who invited Congress into the centre of power and who has kept them there for the last 20 years.

The government invited them in which was a bit like inviting the Normans in; once they were in they were not going anywhere.

Say no more!
OK, just one more time
Behaviour

Most baboons live in hierarchical troops. Group sizes vary between 5 to 250 animals (often about 50 or so), depending on specific circumstances, especially species and time of year. The structure within the troop varies considerably between Hamadryas Baboons and the remaining species, sometimes collectively referred to as savanna baboons. The Hamadryas Baboon often appear in very large groups composed of many smaller harems (one male with four or so females), to which females from elsewhere in the troop are recruited while they're still too young to breed. Other baboon species have a more promiscuous structure with a strict dominance hierarchy based on the matriline. The Hamadryas Baboon group will typically include a younger male, but he will not attempt to mate with the females unless the older male is removed.
Baboons can determine from vocal exchanges what the dominance relations are between individuals. When a confrontation occurs between different families or where a lower-ranking baboon takes the offensive, baboons show more interest in the exchange than exchanges between members of the same family or when a higher-ranking baboon takes the offensive. This is because confrontations between different families or rank challenges can have a wider impact on the whole troop than an internal conflict in a family or a baboon reinforcing its dominance.[7]

The collective noun for baboons is commonly troop or congress, although flange is also increasingly used. This unusual term originates from a Not the Nine O'Clock News comedy sketch entitled "Gerald The Intelligent Gorilla" where it was used for comic effect.[8]

In the harems of the Hamadryas Baboons, the males jealously guard their females, to the point of grabbing and biting the females when they wander too far away. Despite this, some males will raid harems for females. In such situations it often comes to aggressive fights by the males. Visual threats are usually accompanied by these aggressive fights. This would include a quick flashing of the eyelids accompanied by a yawn to show off the teeth. Some males succeed in taking a female from another's harem. This is called a 'takeover'. In many species, infant baboons are taken by the males as hostages during fights.

Once they were in they were kept there by the decision of the Irish people through their voting choices.
All the major parties were/are in favour of the collectivist/ Polit-bureau model.
When this model is used the people get to elect one member (the “Government”) but the rest stay the same no matter what.