Do you see the union jack as being an english flag?

Well, if it is unfair then I apologise.

I wouldn't really know because I have not been on one of these types of holidays before.

The lowest common denominator do go on these type of holidays more often than other types, the filthy swine that they are. I have seen Ibiza Uncovered and that kind of programme. And there were plenty of Irish in it.

That is not to say that the people who go on those holidays are all of the lowest common denominator.

Good grief Terrontress, I point out the snobbishness of your comment and the generalisation you have made with regards to budget holidaymakers and you come back with an even more offensive comment? "filthy swine" is a pretty pejorative comment about people you have never met.

Last edited:
Well they are filty swine! At least they act like it in these programmes.

They are all probably on the dole as well. How they get all the money for the holidays and the booze when they are not working, I'll never know. It's an absolute disgrace.

All I can say is that one of the advantages of growing old is that my age precludes me from an 18-30 holiday! And I don't need to go on one to know the kind of thing which goes on there, the dirty beggars!

Are you Victor Meldrew?

Aside the bizarre apoplectic ranting terrontress, you seem to believe that bad behaviour on holiday, whatever form it takes, is limited to a certain class?!

There are plenty of so called middle class people, who with a few drinks in them, think nothing of shagging in the street and vomiting into their 18th cocktail. Maybe even at the same time.

I lived in England for 10 years, and made a good career and life there at a time when my own country couldn't offer me anything. I never went on a package holiday(too busy flying home for weddings/funerals/hurling matches etc) but most of the people I worked with did. These were ordinary working class English people who were some of the most decent, nicest and honourable people you could meet. Yes they let their hair down on holidays, yes, they got up to wild things and it is not everyone's cup of tea, but to describe them as filthy swines? I'd much prefer to spend my time with people like that then with stuck up snooty people with pretentions of grandeur.

It was not me who bought this issue up! Someone raised Magaluff and Union Jack boxer shorts earlier, it's a very negative stereotype and it is one I tend to agree with.

And let's be fair, it was not me who bought class in to it. I said that the people going on these holidays spend €199 on them, I had tacky tower blocks in Benidorm in mind.

Someone else bought up class saying that the people who can only afford €199 holidays aren't all scum etc. etc.

People with a few quid are just as likely to go on these sorts of holidays as those who go as it is all they can afford.

I used to have one friend who goes on such a holiday and then spends about two grand when he gets there on cocktails, parascending, bungee jumps and all that sort of nonsense.

So I think words are being placed in my mouth if people are saying that I am labelling the working classes (which I am not sure even exist in Ireland) as swine.

The swine are those who hang their flag over the balcony of their fire-trap of a hotel, drink till they're sick, have multiple sexual partners in the one day, spend the whole time in a foreign country looking for someone who can speak English to them, have a series of dodgy tattoos which clash with their lobster red skin.

They can come from the poshest homes in the land to the gutter as far as I am concerned. They are all dirtbirds.

well it's not on football anymore

wooohoooo for me I have 1 year 7 months and 2 weeks and 6 days before i wont be allowed on an 18-30 holiday.

€199 for all of that...bargin i say!!!!! Althought in fairness i wouldn't care if he could speak english or not

you could also waste your money on parascending, drinking cocktails and bungess jumping. What a dreadful habit people have, going on holidays and enjoying themselves. Down with that sort of thing !!!!!!!!!!

you could also waste your money on parascending, drinking cocktails and bungess jumping. What a dreadful habit people have, going on holidays and enjoying themselves. Down with that sort of thing !!!!!!!!!!

You are misrepresenting me again.

The point I was making there was that people may go on such a holiday which is inexpensive to book but when they get there they'll spend an absolute fortune in the space of a week and enjoy themselves doing so. They may consider their accomodation to be somewhere to leave the bags and get a couple of hours kip between pubs and clubs.

My point is that just because someone is on a €199 package deal it does not mean that it is all they can afford.

How can I be misrepresenting you? You're the one who called such people "swine", "filthy swine" and "dirtheads", those are your words not mind. You also described such people as being of "the lowest common denominator" and assumed that they were on the dole. Again, your words, not mine

Well they all are, if you ask me.