Do you need planning for a velux window in a new build?

Angelic123

Hi I have asked our builder to put a velux window in our attic (house is only at foundation stage) - the architect has said no they can't as they would need planning permission and the "tunnel down through the roof would be very long" - are they correct in saying this? if they are so be it.. but if not I would like to challenge as adding a velux after the house is built will be more costly and messy. Thanks for your advice

The builder must at this point build to the permission granted. Changes such as the above before completion mean your engineer won't be able to sign-off that the building was completed in accordance with that permission.

It is probably a little annoying that adding a roof light later on is considered exempt development, but while carrying out works requiring planning, what's built must match the plans. There may be an option to build it now and then seek retention to bring it all into compliance, but that would introduce risks.

You could request that the tunnel and support works for the velux all be added now. Then some time after your build is complete and signed-off you could add the roof light There will be an additional cost, but it should be less than doing it after the fact when the roof is finished and access more difficult.

Your engineer will need to ensure the roof structure is modified and strengthened to accommodate the 'very long' tunnel.

Thanks so much Leo for your response - i'll ask them about doing the support works now. I can't imagine the tunnel would be that long? I really appreciate your advise thanks again.

I can't imagine the tunnel would be that long?

It can only be as long as the distance from your roof to the ceiling. The builder may have prefabricated roof trusses ordered and doesn't want the additional complication of modifying these to accommodate the tunnel.

Best of luck with the rest of the project.

We actually did this in a new build a couple of years ago. Added 3 x velux to the rear of the house (2 for the attic and one as a light tunnel for the landing) when we were building. Our engineer said that there was no issue with this as long as they were to the rear, however if we wanted them at the front we would have had to re-apply.

Hi I have asked our builder to put a velux window in our attic (house is only at foundation stage) - the architect has said no they can't as they would need planning permission and the "tunnel down through the roof would be very long" - are they correct in saying this? if they are so be it.. but if not I would like to challenge as adding a velux after the house is built will be more costly and messy. Thanks for your advice

Front or Rear?
If to the rear, a reasonable argument would be to put them in now but it can be argued that Condition no. 1 needs to be complied with also, that will state that it must be constructed in accordance with the plans particulars as lodged and granted.

Back