Do you need a PIN for credit card?

PatrickSmithUS

I've to pay VRT today and was going to pay with my wife's credit card, I don't have one myself.

She only told me last night that she has no idea what the PIN number is, she got a new one in February and never changed it.

Do you need the PIN for this or can you swipe it?

odyssey06

Frequent Poster
You can only swipe it up to 50 euros, and even then if you havent used it recently you will likely need to enter PIN for first small amount.

so-crates

Frequent Poster
If you have booked the test online they will take the payment from the card you gave them the details of at the point of booking. They don't need you to enter the pin.

Zenith63

Frequent Poster
Can you pay online - won't need a PIN for onine
Sadly not! Had to go and get a bank draft recently to pay an amount too high for credit card, felt like travelling back in time!
Applus will only accept payment by:
  • Bank Draft, (payable to Applus Inspection Services Ireland Ltd. Please ensure the bank sign the bank draft)
  • Company cheque with TAN numbers only (to a limit of €10,000 and payable to Applus Inspection Services Ireland Ltd)
  • Debit Card (limits will apply)
  • Credit card

Zenith63

Frequent Poster
Someone told me I can add the credit card to Google Pay and there's no upper limit.

I've no idea if the VRT office will accept Google Pay though.
You aren't governed by the €50 contactless limit when you use Google or Apple Pay, but you are still limited by your usual credit card transaction limit. Also have to watch out for random machines which don’t support tap yet, looking at you Tesco Clarehall!

Last edited:

Zenith63

Frequent Poster
can you prepay credit to your card temporarily boosting your limit?
Certainly not with KBC, tried to pay for a car with this method a few years ago, failed miserably! I believe Tesco used to allow it, so it may be a per provider thing?

Last edited:

fayf

Frequent Poster
No issue with an AIB visa credit card, have often transferred funds into it, to increase credit limit temporarily, for one off things like this. Its one of many reasons, i’m keeping my AIB credit card but getting rid of all other AIB accounts.