Do you know Ringaskiddy?

HMC

Hello,
Anyone on the boards live in or near Ringaskiddy who could offer advice on it as a place to live/good links to the city?
Thanks.
HMC

Hi HMC

I live near carrigaline. re ringaskiddy - prices there are significantly lower than carrigaline or any of the nearer suburbs such as douglas/rochestown or coastal villages such as monkstown.

This is probably due to the proliferation of pharmaceutical industry in the ringaskiddy area and the the port/ferry area re traffic etc. as far as i'm aware, services wouldn't be great. access to city and link road is good. There is a maritime educational college in ringaskiddy so there has been some investor/tax incentive housing activity. other housing would tend to be at the lower price end. IMHO wouldn't be an area most people would choose to live in unless they have good reason and local connections.

Anybody I know living in Ringaskiddy has been there for generations. Don't usually get many new people moving in. Any good links would be Passage, Monkstown, Rochestown, Carrigaline or Douglas. Or if you want to live closer Shanbally is very near. New houses for sale at moment on Dennehys Auctioneers website www.dennehyauctioneers.ie (under New Developments)

i have a fiend who lived there for a few years ,got a job in one of the chemical companies,because he was local and they have/had a policy of employing locally due to IDA grants etc,then he sold up and moved out once the kids came along.
bear in mind you are living in the centre of a chemical melting pot in an area with busy roads at peak times in the mornings .
if one place goes boom down there then god help all of us..

The planned new road will take the traffic off the current ringaskiddy road, taking it down through the fernhill golf course, with interchanges for novartis / centocor etc. It will bypass the village with ferry traffic coming down somwhere between the current ferry entrance and the marine college entrance. So most of the current traffic will be diverted from the village.
I've also seen a council announcement in the local paper to address kerbing, planting etc to freshen up the village. The street has been resurfaced in the last few months and is looking good, and the pub which was closed has reopened.
You have nice views of Monkstown from some higher up parts, there are some nice beaches down there, and you are near the woods at Currabinny. Short drive to Carrigaline, Douglas, and several options for routes to get there.
IMO the plants aren't as dangerous as people would have you believe - Pfizer are also in Little Island and several plants in Carrigtwohill with more to come; you dont hear the same things being said about these towns.
All in all, I'd say give it a couple of years and it will be a pleasant enough place to live. From word of mouth, i've been told that anywhere down in the village or near the community centre is very good - towards back of village not so good. Also a lot of rented out accommodation there at the moment.

edited to add: if you look at the www.corkcoco.ie website, and the search planning database link, select the advanced version and you can find the area by arial photo and see the zoned areas, location of current planning applications, planned road route etc.

Last edited:
on the plants as Mel has said not all are dangerous as they are a mix of pharmacutical's (sic) and other types of what are branded as chemical companies..in Carrigtwohill the Amgen plant won't really be a polluter or dangerous ,so i ahve been told by an engineer from the industry..
ringaskiddy does seem to be a one horse town