Do you have to do driving test in order to be able to legally drive car with trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Hi
Do you have to do a driving test to be able to legally drive car with trailer attached- vehicles in class EB - Vehicle in category B with a trailer attached and where the design g.v.w of the trailer is greater than 750 KG

Thanks

Re: Do you have to do driving test in order to be able to legally drive car with trai

Thanks for that
The information in the link is from 2006

Does anyone know if it is still relevant and up to date or have things changed in interim

Re: Do you have to do driving test in order to be able to legally drive car with trai

i have a feeling that if its a small trailer you should be ok, i mean you know the limits, the 4 wheel cow box behind the jetta will not be good enough, i think in fact there is a , or was a comment made to me before that if the trailer has 4 wheels then you must use a 4x4 to tow, then of course there is probably the license issue based on the weights,, all gets too confusing for me,, DGW, unladed weight, weight across the axles,, blah blah:confused:

This is taken from wexford Co Co website :

It will be a penal offence for the holder of a learner permit for vehicles of category B, C1, C, D1 or D, (car, truck and bus) to drive such a vehicle while the vehicle is drawing a trailer.

Q: What is the penalty if a learner drives a vehicle with a trailer without a learner permit for the vehicle and trailer licence category eg car and trailer is licence category EB?

A: It is a penal offence and is punishable by a minimum fine of €1,000.

Thanks for replies

I got through to someone in Dublin City Council Motor Tax (this was after ringing garda station where person didnt know. ringing nutgrove motor tax who didnt answer the phone. ringing kildare motor tax who didnt answer the phone, ringing dept of transport in shannon who just have a voice mail system that gives you options but for every option tells you to contact somewhere else)

Helpful man told me in Dublin City Council that i can legally drive a trailer < 750 kg on a B license but if i want > 750 KG trailer after car i would have to get provisonal licence for category EB and do test

Thansk

Plus the trailer must be no longer and no wider than the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back