Do you have to accept a repair on faulty furniture?

• Thread starter ashlingd2004
  • Start date
A

ashlingd2004

I bought a suite of furniute in Oct 2006 and in the last 2 months it seems to have collapsed in the middle. I called the shop and they said they would put the manufacturing company in touch with me. A guy from the manufacturing company called out to look at the furniture and told me he would take it back and repair it. Im just afraid that if they repair it, it will happen again.

What are my rights, can i insist on a refund??

Ashling

I bought a suite of furniture in Oct 2006 and in the last 2 months it seems to have collapsed in the middle. I called the shop and they said they would put the manufacturing company in touch with me. A guy from the manufacturing company called out to look at the furniture and told me he would take it back and repair it. Im just afraid that if they repair it, it will happen again.

What are my rights, can i insist on a refund??

Ashling

The goods must be of merchantable quality, fit for their purpose and as stated. (Sale of Goods Act) There will normally be a guarantee against defective workmanship for at least 12 months (on new goods - was it bought new?). Unless you have overloaded your table it should be able to take normal use. Being transferred to the manufacturer suits the retailer. Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. The retailer is responsible for replacement, repair or refund at your discretion.

Ask the shop for whichever of these choices you would prefer. Tell them you know your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. If not happy ask for a refund - yours to buy another table from the same shop if you wish or go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think the shop is within its rights to repair a faulty product particularly if it is an fixable problem such as the frame collapsing as your post suggests. If you buy a new car and after three/ six months you discover a fault they will not give you a new car. They are allowed fix the problem. Its the same for furniture.

Write a note to the retailer stating that while you are happy to have the item repaired at this time that you are reserving your consumer rights for a refund if the goods prove to be unmerchantable following the repair.

Marion

Back