Do you answer calls from private number on your mobile?

MandaC

I notice an increase in the number of calls from private numbers on my mobile.

What I have taken to doing is not taking calls from private numbers and they can leave me a message if they want me to return calls. This morning I have missed (not answered) 4 such calls with no messages left.

Usually it is someone from my Bank, mobile phone company, car insurance company trying to sell me something.

Just wondering how other people handle.

I do the very same as you if it is important they will leave a message and more times than not they dont!!!!, and i agree when i do answer them it is usually someone trying to sell something!!! i have also removed my moblie number from directory enquiries.

I'll always answer - sheer curiosity gets the better of me.

In my case, usually these are either wrong numbers or genuine calls from friends/associates who are maybe calling from a different phone.

If and when it becomes apparent that someone is selling me something - whether I've unwittingly agreed to be contacted or not - I just interrupt them, tell them I'm at work and it's not convenient and basically hang up.

I answer sometimes and not sometimes. have lot of friends and relatives overseas who often come up as private callers.

When I get sales calls - I do like Caveat and just hang up immediately saying " thanks mate but I have one of those already " or similar

Unfortunately half my colleagues or cutomers/partners appear as private number so I'll answer if within (or close enough to) business hours.

I do the same as the OP, and generally don't answer them as usually it's someone looking for something.

i have also removed my moblie number from directory enquiries.

This is the reason why my number shows as Private, because I'm ex directory.
they can leave me a message if they want me to return calls

Does it not cost you money every time to check the messages that are left ?

I don't have my mobile number on directory enquiries but I think my mobile number still shows up when I ring other people's phones. Is this correct?

You can set your mobile to display your number even if you're not in a phone directory.

Landlines don't display numbers if they're ex-directory.

You can set your mobile to display your number even if you're not in a phone directory.

Landlines don't display numbers if they're ex-directory.

Yeah thats what I thought. I think this is done through phone settings.

Anyway thanks, just curious to see what other people do. Out of the four calls this morning, not one left a message, which is leading me to believe it is a sales call. Most of my friends do not call from private numbers so 9 times out of 10, it is someone I dont know calling from private number.

When I make a phone call from my office it shows up as a private call ( my direct line so I don't want people ringing me on that number as I'm often with clients) and I'd say it's only about 50% of people who answer. I know cause I then try to ring on the second ( main phone number) line and they answer!

if someone you know has a private number, they can simply put 142 before they dial your number and then their number will show up i.e. when dialing 01 1234567 just dial 14201 1234567. Also, if your number always shows up, you can dial 141 before the number for it to come up as private.

just tried that and came up as 'number not in use' on my phone?

On your mobile if you do display your number and you dial
#31# and then the number to dial, it does actually hide your number.

That's exactly how I deal with them. No number displayed = hidden agenda in my opinion.

I take the call, if it's not someone I want to speak to, I say "thanks, but no thanks". It's quicker & cheaper than checking messages and calling back!

The one's I'm really supicious of are the "number unknown"....