Do wii games from America work here?

B

baffled

Can I use games bought in New York on a Nintendo wii I intend to buy here? The games are for Xmas so need to avoid disappointment on Xmas morning!

Can I use games bought in New York on a Nintendo wii I intend to buy here? The games are for Xmas so need to avoid disappointment on Xmas morning!

No you can't. Unlike the PS3 for example, Wii games are region locked. Therefore if you have a PAL (a European Wii), you can only play PAL games on it. The covers of the games will clearly state PAL on them.

You could of course buy a US Wii and then buy your games over the web in the future. Games are released earlier in the States and are much cheaper than Europe.

Last edited:
Even though you can't buy the games you can buy the controllers and nanchucks. My brother bought another 3 sets when we went earlier this year and saved a fortune. One thing he did say was he wished he bought the wii points cards when he was there. You use the points to buy games online apparently. 2000 point cards in the US is $20 versus €20 here. He said you can buy games from nintendo's back catalogue (SNES etc) for eg. 1000. If you have the internet you can get these points cards and let them choose there own games. Probably not as good as the real wii games but some of the classics are still good - mario etc.

Back