Do we need a will?

S

Serenity1

My BF and I got approved for a mortgage to build a house. Both names are on the mortgage and the site will be put in both names. We have a joint solicitor handling all this.

My question is - do we need to make a seperate will? If something happened to either of us, does the other automatically get the house?

We are getting marreid next year but obviously we would like to take care of each other in the mean time. Also legally is there anything else we should do to protect our interest in the property? Basically at the moment i pay all utilites and he pays the rent on our appartment - they work out about the same. BUT i have heard that IF we were to continue to do this, and we seperated prior to marriage, he could claim to have piad all the mortgage and have more title to the house? Is there any truth to this?

Definitely make a will each. It should be included by your solicitor with the whole conveyancing package.

Just make sure BOTH names are on the deeds AND on the mortgage and you'll have no worries but a will is never a bad idea in such circumstances. You will be joint tenants and the property shouldn't even enter probate if one of you were to pass away as the property would pass to the other tenant by act of law. Any will you make should take account of what happens if there was an accident and both of you passed away at the same time. Make sure your wills cover this eventuality.

Just make sure BOTH names are on the deeds AND on the mortgage and you'll have no worries but a will is never a bad idea in such circumstances. You will be joint tenants and the property shouldn't even enter probate if one of you were to pass away as the property would pass to the other tenant by act of law. Any will you make should take account of what happens if there was an accident and both of you passed away at the same time. Make sure your wills cover this eventuality.