Do we have a leg to stand on?

Abbica

Hi, I would be most grateful if someone could give me some advice please. It's a bit long winded but I would like to explain it exactly?
Basically our dilemma is that we got our windows made by a joiner and they demanded payment upfront for supply and fit. We did this and all was going well until they came to fit them onto a timberframe house.
They put 3/4 of the windows in before christmas and then on the 9th of January, another one of their men returned to finish the job and he said, "those windows are in wrong, they don't have timber batons around them", (so that they fit in exactly the same the whole way around the house).So, he then proceeded to finish the installation and head home. We rang the joinery to ask him to come back and install them properly with the batons (this is fire regulation). 8 days later he got back to us after us persistently ringing him and himself ignoring us.
He states, 'Our window fitter asked your brick layer on site that day how to put the windows in, which is not uncommon for trades which follow on from each other to give advice and he said the windows were in so as far as we are concerned, we have fitted the windows and can not be held liable'. Is this the case and why did he ask our brick layer for advice when they could have asked us or the timber frame company if they weren't sure?? Any help, much appreciated.

have you an architect/engineer suprevising? If so, get him/her to take it up with the joinery.

Back