Do RTE have a dress code and presentation standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATC110

Watching the RTE nine o'clock news and the presenter does not look professional and suitably presented as a newsreader - 70s-style white coloured shapeless trouser suit, mad hair, panda eyes and generally affected manner.

All the other RTE newsreaders and those on other channels are appropriately presented.

Can they just look whatever way they want on RTE?

Last edited:
I expect if RTE said anything about said individual's attire - which I agree is completely unsuitable for a serious news programme - they would find themselves faced by a professionally attired legal professional... who would run rings around their lack of dress code, difficulty of speciyfing same for male and female staff etc etc etc...

I seem to remember a similar thread about this topic on AAM in the last couple of years but search drew a blank!

She looks like one of Charlie"s Angles for a long time now though. Did anyone happen to hear the news at all :rolleyes: with all this distraction ?

On the other extreme Ryan Tubridy who is presenting an "entertainment" show supposedly is wearing very drab dark blue suits all the time, don't understand the rationale for that either. Contast his suits with Graham Norton or Gay Byrne in his day who wore very good suits, even when Graham Norton was on as a guest you could see the difference.

Last edited:
I don"t care what type of suits Tubridy wears it will never make him a good presenter , in my opinion.
Graham Norton is a great presenter though and has a great show.
Gay was the master though...

@joer yes I agree but the fact that he does not seem to place any importance on dressing like he is an entertainer, whereas Graham Norton and most other chat show hosts do. I think a creep has been happening since Gay Byrne left away from entertainment and now it is glaringly obvious , Tubridy has no gravitas and that is exemplified by his choice of suits.

Likewise but the ridiculous way some present themselves distracts and detracts from the job they're paid to do
Some have also been in numerous disputes with RTE so RTE are probably unlikely to try to make an issue of this.

In other words they're a law unto themselves?
Or RTE know that employment law and anti-discrimination law is on the side of the presenter. If nobody else has been told what to wear or not wear and there is no dress code in place then they can wear what they like. It is completely the employers fault for not putting this in their contract.

I still don't see the pyjamas as appropiate dress for reading the news although it's a change from the biking gear but it's a brave (or foolish) person who would take the said presenter to task

I still don't see the pyjamas as appropiate dress for reading the news although it's a change from the biking gear but it's a brave (or foolish) person who would take the said presenter to task
She's just trying t express her individuality. Don't you oppress her!

(It's symbolic of our struggle against the Romans)

70s-style white coloured shapeless trouser suit,
must be a fashion thing in RTE I see the woman who the retirement party was for, Phil Collins was also wearing a black seventies style trouser suit with huge bell bottoms and platform shoes. I see Eileen Dunne and herself in the photo actually standing on the yellow 2m social distancing floor sign. Like the episode of Fr Ted where they were supposed to be protesting against the blasphemous film but couldn't resist watching it themselves, :)

I don"t care what type of suits Tubridy wears it will never make him a good presenter , in my opinion.
Graham Norton is a great presenter though and has a great show.
Gay was the master though...

Graham Norton's show is pre-recorded. Its unfair to directly compare to Late Late Show. That said, I don't think any amount of editing would result in a Late Late Show that I'd watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back