Do I need winter Sports insurance ?

bleary

I have health insurance which covers me for travel abroad, An annual travel insurance policy that covers bags delays etc but not winter sports .
Do I need Winter sports insurance specifically -mostly it seems to be for Ski packs etc and equipment which im only renting.
Any recommendations for single trip insurance?

In order to insure yourself against injury on a "hazardous pursuits" holiday you need a specific policy as I don't believe your regular health insurer will cover you. Try insure.ie 123.ie etc.

Winter sports are more hazardous than a lot of other holiday types. AFAIK Insurance costs nearly double for them & YES you most definitely do need insurance.

Two people I know got injured recently on ski trips & I don't think this is unusual.

Yes, you'll need insurance cover for injuries sustained through skiing activities. Injuries while skiing are very common, especially with beginner to intermediate skiers.

Any recommendations for single trip insurance?

I am using getcover for annual travel insurance (€64 for the year for 2 adults + 2 children).

Their price is good, their T&Cs are good (at least meet my expectations)... but don't know about their claim handling as i thanksfully never had to make one.

I contacted VHI about our skiing trip and they said that we are covered for any accidents that happen on-piste.....but not off-piste. They do offer a "Winter ski package" but that is specifically for things like loss of ski gear, closure of piste, etc. Best thing is to check with your insurance company.

You need winter insurance, as a helicopter evacuation from the slopes to a clinic is very very expensive, and your EHIC will not cover repatriation costs back to ireland. Also, many piste patrols look for evidence of insurance before evacuation. The clinics in the villages mostly are private, and the EHIC will not cover you their either.
Also, if you collided with someone, you will have no personal liability insurance ( remember those poor parents in Denver who are being sued because their 8 year old son skied into someone?). I
The insurance only costs a little bit extra on the policy, and not having it is a false economy in my view.

The only problem with the VHI additional cover are their terms and conditions which limit cover on snowboarding for example to when you are with your instructor.

Its best to carefully read the T&Cs before purchasing.

We returned from Switzerland on 22/01/08 and, while sitting in Geneva Airport, counted 16 people on crutches limping past.

As Rob30 points out, the cost of a casevac by helicopter could break the bank for you.

Always get the appropriate insurance and don't stint on the cost.

The only problem with the VHI additional cover are their terms and conditions which limit cover on snowboarding for example to when you are with your instructor.

Its best to carefully read the T&Cs before purchasing.

think that might apply to off piste skiing !

Yeah, not to put you off but just returned last night and lost count of people with crutches, neck braces, arms in plasters etc ... even saw two people from the same group with broken legs, was wondering if they took each other out!

One member of our group had to go to doc for x-rays - cost 400e. So imagine the cost if you needed to be air lifted out! Not worth the risk for the sake of 30e.

One other thing - best to get the appropriate protection as well - i.e. hire helmet, for snowboarding buy write guards & impact shorts, saves the pain for a few quid!

But the VHI Winter sport offers no extra medical cover :

Winter Sports
Max. Benefit
Cancellation/curtailment - additional cover
€4,000​
Ski equipment, ski hire, lost or stolen ski pass
€750​
Piste closure
€600​
Avalanche or landslide
€600​

The girls said that the normal multi trip policy would cover us for an accident on the slopes once we were not off piste.

I also have the european health insurance cards....touch wood we won't need any of them!!

I think you should check with the insurance company: if the multi trip cover you have includes cover for winter sports it will be the first one I have ever heard of.

If what your friends are saying is correct, then great, but I wouldn't rely on hearsay for protection against a potentially very expensive accident.

I should tell you that some years ago the B-in-law had a major accident in which one of his leg bones was split from top to bottom; he told me at the time that the first thing the casevac people said to him was, "Are you insured, or do you have money!"

Don't take the chance!!

I think you should check with the insurance company: if the multi trip cover you have includes cover for winter sports it will be the first one I have ever heard of.

Have year long multi-trip through AIB (underwritten by ACE) which covers winter sports & hazardous activities (explicitly asked about kitesurfing) ...

vhi multitrip family covers accidents which occur during skiing but not the equipment, resort closure due to no snow or avalanche. medical coverage is 5million euro - should be enough I guess !!!