Do I need to have internet to use an App on my phone?

Odea

I have a new AIB credit card. I see that there is now a double level of security when I am making online purchases. I have a choice of downloading the AIB App or setting up a text system to verify online purchases.

I am confused about the following. I have a pay as you go smart phone but I do not pay for internet on it. When I am out and about I scrounge the free internet that is available wherever I am. If I am in the middle of nowhere, without internet, can I still download/use the App or is it linked to the internet? Must I have internet to access the App?

I am thinking that I should just use the AIB text system when making purchases because this is linked to the mobile network and will work even if there is no access to internet nearby where I am.

@Odea in relation to
I have a pay as you go smart phone but I do not pay for internet on it
Are you sure about that - I would have thought that all plans would have internet plans by default.

Yes, you would need internet access to use the App, but that can be at your homes WiFi if you have such and connect to it. I wouldn't trust "free internet" when you are out & about, especially for banking / online purchases etc.

I would have thought that all plans would have internet plans by default.
I have an iPhone but I just use my home internet on it. When I am not at home I rely on any free local internet to access websites etc. I just purchase a top up phone credit as needs be. I don't see the need to purchase internet for my phone.

I have an iPhone but I just use my home internet on it. When I am not at home I rely on any free local internet to access websites etc. I just purchase a top up phone credit as needs be. I don't see the need to purchase internet for my phone.
There is probably an allowance with your top up.. you should ask at the phone shop you get credit from. Its likely to be a limited amount.

The AIB text system will work with your phone only to send the text.
You'll still need internet access to get to the AIB webpage in the first place.

The AIB text system will work with your phone only to send the text.
I don't have an iPhone. I cannot download Apps on the phone I have. If I am sitting at home using my internet on my laptop to book a Ryanair flight with my credit card, it seems that the text system is the only system that I can use. Is that correct?

I don't have an iPhone. I cannot download Apps on the phone I have. If I am sitting at home using my internet on my laptop to book a Ryanair flight with my credit card, it seems that the text system is the only system that I can use. Is that correct?
Yes - correct.

out of interest, how much per month are you spending on PAYG phone credit? If its any more than €15 a month then you should be signing up for one of the companies that give a 30 day rolling contract that will give you calls, texts and data

You should never use free public wi-fi for any purchases or financial transactions. Classic scam is to either set up a free wi-fi spot and disguise it as a genuine public wi-fi. A so called "Evil Twin" scam

I have a new AIB credit card. I see that there is now a double level of security when I am making online purchases. I have a choice of downloading the AIB App or setting up a text system to verify online purchases.

I am confused about the following. I have a pay as you go smart phone but I do not pay for internet on it. When I am out and about I scrounge the free internet that is available wherever I am. If I am in the middle of nowhere, without internet, can I still download/use the App or is it linked to the internet? Must I have internet to access the App?

I am thinking that I should just use the AIB text system when making purchases because this is linked to the mobile network and will work even if there is no access to internet nearby where I am.
Honestly it prob cost way more payg. You can get €10\15 a month plans with the likes of Lycamobile and get plenty internet access and unltd national calls.

Back