Do I need an engineer for garage conversion?

drunat

Hi
We are doing some work on the house - kitchen extension and garage conversion. I got a number of quotes and for conversion going with the company that has an engineer who will be providing all necessary reports - compliance with planning and building regulation.
For the garage I am however inclined to go with the smaller guys - have quotes half the price that the company that will be doing extension is quoting. So what I am asking is whether or not it's OK to go without an engineer?
Here is a list of work that will be done on the garage:

"Remove existing concrete floor. Remove existing ceiling.
Break out new door opening from hallway to garage. Remove garage door. Build up brick-work to windowsill level. Fit new white double glazed PVC window.
Fit 300mm insulation to garage roof. Fit electrics to garage. Re-slab ceiling. Slab exterior walls with 72mm slabs. Slab internal wall with 38mm slab. Fit stud wall to make ensuite. Fit radon barrier to floor. Fit 100mm insulation to floor.
Fit plumbing, heating and waste pipes and white sanitary ware. Fit one radiator in bedroom and in ensuite. Pour concrete finished floor in bedroom and ensuite and skim walls and ceilings and make good where necessary. Fit 2 new doors, skirting and architrave to match existing."

Hi Drunat,
I cannot stress this enough,ALWAYS get your own engineer, the building company engineer is PAID by the builder, those who pay the piper and all that!
Most engineers will work out a fair price with you for this smallish job and sign off at the end and give you a certificate of compliance etc.

Pat