Do I need a Mortgage?

quarterfloun

I have enough cash to buy my site & build my PPR which I will be doing soon. However there are tax breaks available if I borrow money for this purpose.

Simply my question is "Is there an optimum amount I should borrow to gain a tax break or am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea".

quarterfloun said:
I have enough cash to buy my site & build my PPR which I will be doing soon. However there are tax breaks available if I borrow money for this purpose.

Simply my question is "Is there an optimum amount I should borrow to gain a tax break or am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea".

what tax breaks? Do they offset the interest you would pay on the mortage?

quarterfloun said:

the tax breaks only refer to the interest you pay (and are only at the lower rate) so unless you can get better apr from investing the money, you are best to pay off the house with it...

Owner occupier mortgage interest relief is worth a mere €66.67 per month per individual named on the deeds so it merely reduces your interest bill by that amount and you still have to pay any additional interest and capital that are part of the repayments out of your own pocket. Ultimately these are a cost to you so hardly worth encumbering yourself with unless (a) you need a mortgage in the first place or (b) you have a better use for the money that you have "spare".

quarterfloun said:

You are correct that there are tax breaks in relation to interest on money you borrow to purchase/construct your own home

If you are a FTB (first time buyer) you will be allowed to reclaim 20% of the first €4,000 (€2,540 for non-FTB) per person

That is the amount of interest on borrowins on roughly €129k (FTB) or €82k (using an int rate of 3.1%) per person

So a single person non-FTB will get no tax relief on interest of borrowings greater than €82k

So after these amounts above there is no tax benefit of investing your money in your home

But you must look at the cost of the borrowings

Since you would be paying interest at around 3.1% if you borrow, where would you invest your money so that you will earn more than 3.1% (or more than 2.48% of tax relieved interest) to warrant investing in something else

Rabordirect and Northen Bank are paying out around 2.4% (3% less DIRT) on deposit accounts which is very close considering the the little amount of risk involved

Borrowing on property as security is probably the lowest form of borrowing you are going to obtain so if you want to invest the money you have rather than tie it up, a mortgage would be the way to go

The tax breaks should not really effect your decision to a great extent but rather your personal attitude to investing/saving/living should be more important

[email protected]

Back