Do I need a license to give customers a glass of wine

Daveydoris

I can't get a definite answer on this one...I'm looking to give out a glass or 2 of wine to customers in a hair salon on Saturdays. I won't be charging for the wine...do I need a license?

I would think no. Its like free wine at a gallery opening or some such event? We have been given free wine at xmas lunch in work and there is no licence in place. If its free I cant imagine you need a licence.

I think it only applies if you are selling the wine, if its free then you don't need a licence AFAIK.

Thanks for the enthusastic replies every one ;-) Yes, we'll probably be giving out wine every Saturday, I just hope it doesn't get messy ! We're not open yet..probably 6 weeks away from opening ( salon is in west Dublin) but I'll post back when we are in case anyone is interested in taking us up on the freebies! Or just PM me for more info

Thanks again

I've noticed this in other salons too except they do it every day. I'm often tempted but I'm usually driving so can't! I wondered about the license thing too....As you say I guess its not being sold so none required....

I presume to get around things it would have to be completely free and not tied to a purchase ?

i.e. people can walk in off the street , have a glass, and walk out again without paying anything...

I presume to get around things it would have to be completely free and not tied to a purchase ?

i.e. people can walk in off the street , have a glass, and walk out again without paying anything...

Surely you'd have no business being in a hair salon unless you were a customer - its not selling products you can browse?

Junaberry on Ormond Quay and House of Colour on Liffey Street are two I know of.

I suppose the idea is to differentiate it from a 'drinking den' where people try to circumvent licensing laws by paying for 'admission' while all the drink is 'free'.