Do i have to amalgamate my pension if i rejoin public sector

partnership

Frequent Poster
I took redundancy from the hse and my pension is preserved. If I was to be employed by another public sector body such as local authority how would this work? I would prefer to keep preserved pension as is and start in new scheme if possible. Would this be allowed?

gravitygirl

Frequent Poster
I took redundancy from the hse and my pension is preserved. If I was to be employed by another public sector body such as local authority how would this work? I would prefer to keep preserved pension as is and start in new scheme if possible. Would this be allowed?
If you have been more than 6 months out of the public service, you will have to join the new single scheme if you were to rejoin which is a different scheme anyway, so as far as I know they would be separate. I don't believe there is an option to merge service from both different schemes but I could be wrong.

Early Riser

Frequent Poster
Depending on what scheme you took redundancy under there may be restrictions on your re-employment in the public service.

Also, if you are successfully re-employed you will probably be subject to pension abatement whenever your preserved pension becomes payable (60?). Abatement means that you cannot earn more from your new salary and your previous pension combined than the salary you would have had if you were still employed in your former position.

You will (or should be) required to sign a declaration at re-employment in respect of any previous public service employments/pensions.

You can google "pension abatement". Also, see here : https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/hr/pdfs/appointment_restrictions.pdf .

Last edited:

NoRegretsCoyote

Frequent Poster
Depending on what scheme you took redundancy under there may be restrictions on your re-employment in the public service.

Also, if you are successfully re-employed you will probably be subject to pension abatement whenever your preserved pension becomes payable (60?). Abatement means that you cannot earn more from yor new salary and your previous pension combined than the salary you would have had if you were still employed in your former position.
Slightly OT but I wonder how constitutional this is. It seems both an infringement of a property right and unequal treatment.

Person A decides to enjoy the retired life at 60, while person B wants to keep on working. Why should person B's accumulated pension rights be reduced but not person A's?

Early Riser

Frequent Poster
Slightly OT but I wonder how constitutional this is. It seems both an infringement of a property right and unequal treatment.

Person A decides to enjoy the retired life at 60, while person B wants to keep on working. Why should person B's accumulated pension rights be reduced but not person A's?
I have no idea on the constitutional matter - as far as I know it has never been challenged. SIPTU did make an issue of it in relation to nurses working beyond 65 ( between occ pension age and state pension age) but I don't know how far it went (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/health-service-staff-working-after-retirement-age-could-face-pay-cuts-1.3396785). I seem to remember the teachers unions raising it also in respect of retired teachers returning to the classroom. It is certainly still a stated condition in general.

I suppose the point could be made that it doesn't prevent people working - it is just a condition of public sector employment.

Last edited:

partnership

Frequent Poster
As I understand the abatement would only be if you are working in public sector. If you were working and getting pension it will be taxed. Hoping not to work past 60 if I can afford it. Just need to work til then and maybe build up some stamps for state pension.

Early Riser

Frequent Poster
As I understand the abatement would only be if you are working in public sector. If you were working and getting pension it will be taxed. Hoping not to work past 60 if I can afford it. Just need to work til then and maybe build up some stamps for state pension.
I take it your preserved pension is payable at 60? If you will not be working beyond 60 in your new position then abatement will not be an issue. However, beyond this it may be. You said your prospective new position is in a local authority - that is a public service position, as far as I know. See if your prospective employer is listed here (I don't know of this is exhaustive): https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/list-of-single-scheme-public-service-bodies/ .

NoRegretsCoyote

Frequent Poster
I suppose the point could be made that it doesn't prevent people working - it is just a condition of public sector employment.
I guess you're right. There is already precedent for unequal pay for equal work with the post-2010 entrants.

Ditto for pension accumulation for Single Scheme participants.