Do garages really service 2nd hand cars when selling?

DangerMouse

Hi, I recently bought a second hand car from a reputable very garage. The car came with 1 year warranty and this was a clincher in the deal for me as it took a lot of risk out of buying an older car.
When purchasing I drove a hard bargain and got a couple of hundred more off the price than the garage offered originally. Anyway, it seems now that the garage may have actually clawed back what they lost in the deal by saving on how much they put into the car going out. By this I sepcifically mean with the service. The car was supposed to be fully seriveced prior to leaving the garage. The service book was stamped and the window sticker was updated to state this was the case.
However, 2 months after taking the car the coolant light came on. I opened the bonnet and the engine coolant was completely empty. On checking the manual it stated that coolant is only required once every 4 years. Surely this is a pretty basic part of a service which should be picked up.

Now 1 month on and the oil light has come on to say the oil level is low and needs to be topped up. Again, a basic feature of a service I would have expected.

i have received letters from this garage about their excellent after sales service etc. What exactly is my position here, should I complain or is it reasonable for the garage to state the car was serviced correctly. My main concern is that it is a long time since the car was serviced before I bought it and I'd like to get it done before something goes wrong.

I'm not completely surprised really.

When buying cars I have used Carcheck as a pre purchase inspection who I have found to be excellent. But, inspections have invariably revealed that cars, supposedly ready to buy and drive off the forecourt, have needed oil/oil filter changes, interior bulbs not working...etc

It is possible that the car is leaking coolant I suppose and that this wasn't picked up - but when you also mention the oil...

Have you spoken to the garage yet?

I wouldn't have expected the fluid levels to have depleted in such a short space of time, so if it were me I'd definitely speak to someone in their service department. How old is the car?

Thanks Carpenter, the car is a 01 but in perfect condition and a good spec car. I am not overly concerned about fluids leaking however I really do have a suspiscion nothing was done.
When I was originally asked to pick the car up, some touch up was supposed to have been done but wasn't. I had to book it back in. To be fair I pushed for this and for a new key. If the garage told me they weren't servicing as part of the deal I would take that. What I don't like is that they have told me they have serviced it and have not done.
I haven't spoken to the garage yet but I will do very soon.

I purchased a mazda 6 diesel 3 months ago 2nd hand . Full service timing belt etc done by the dealer

After 6K miles the oil light came on. Sure enough the oil wasn't even showing on the dipstick. Went back to the dealer and was told that this is within acceptable parameters for oil usage.

Its my first diesel so I was surprised.

Hi, I recently bought a second hand car from a reputable garage. .

Never for one moment believe that 100% of customers are always satisfied with car dealerships. The word reputable is highly subjective in this case.

However, 2 months after taking the car the coolant light came on. I opened the bonnet and the engine coolant was completely empty. On checking the manual it stated that coolant is only required once every 4 years. Surely this is a pretty basic part of a service which should be picked up.

You will never be able to pin this on the garage. Other factors unrelated to the "service" may have caused to this happen.

What exactly is my position here, should I complain

You could complain, but what do you hope to achieve? A refund? You would only be wasting your time in my opinion but I suppose it would do no harm.

If the car is using coolant and oil there may be a problem with the engine. You should get that checked out. These things should not be left just to be done at services. You should be checking the fluids every other week. Or at a minimum once a month.

DangerMouse, was the car bought from a Franchise main dealer?

Also, I know with our V.W.'s etc and most other manuals it states that oil can be consumed at a rate of up to .75 of a liter every 1,000 kms and this is normal. In the 3 months that you have owned the car have you checked the oil level? What milage have you done?

The coolant requires on your car to be changed every 4 years but does require to be topped up, maybe you do have a leak, but that is what your warranty is for.

I always check all fluids on a newly aquired car weekly so I can get a idea as to what's being consumed.Some cars can consume a surprising amount of oil especially during spirited driving!! As mr2 said thats what you have the warranty for.A years warranty is sufficent time to see all these things pan out.

I had an opel astra once which lost coolant at various times. could check it today and it was ok. tomorrow - gone. could last 2/3 months and then - gone.or maybe only a week. times varied. main Opel dealer said it was a nipple opening and letting out the coolant and that it was costly to repair. So I didn't bother. was trading in for a new astra the following year at the same garage anyway. Purchased from new and traded in after 3 years. As Opel only gave a miserable 1year guarantee they wouln't repair it under warranty. purchased a 2nd hand (3 months old) yaris earlier this year. garage promised to service it and I checked the oil when I took delivery and it was definitely brand new.

Do people always presume the worst?????.
For piece of mind why don't you call the garage and ask them for a copy of the internal pre sales service invoice, it will tell you what was or wasn't done. Always a good idea to buy from a main dealer, might cost you a little more but at leasr you'll have piece of mind and someone to go back to.

Do people always presume the worst?????.
For piece of mind why don't you call the garage and ask them for a copy of the internal pre sales service invoice, it will tell you what was or wasn't done. Always a good idea to buy from a main dealer, might cost you a little more but at leasr you'll have piece of mind and someone to go back to.

Its not like they'd bill you and not do the work is it? :)

as far as I'm concerned they take cars as trade ins, valet them and stick them on the forecourt. It's easier/cheaper to sort out any problems that arise if somebody complains.

Even if they say they do 100 point checks etc.

I purchased a mazda 6 diesel 3 months ago 2nd hand . Full service timing belt etc done by the dealer

After 6K miles the oil light came on. Sure enough the oil wasn't even showing on the dipstick. Went back to the dealer and was told that this is within acceptable parameters for oil usage.

Its my first diesel so I was surprised.

That could be a problem with oil pressure. I would keep an eye on this.

Know of a case where the oil light coming on was dismissed as just a sensor fault - the next day the engine seized up. Mazda ireland coughed up for new engine, however ower had to cough up for new turbo (not cheap), mazda dealership coughed up for labour only!

Back