Do fixed term lump sum deposits make sense if rates will rise?

Re: Fixed Term Lump Sum Deposits

Hi jpd,
Thanks for reply but it does not explain why there is so much wasted post on the rates for year long deposits. I assumed there must be something that I'm missing :confused:

Thanks for reply but it does not explain why there is so much wasted post on the rates for year long deposits. I assumed there must be something that I'm missing :confused:
What do you mean "wasted post"? If you mean the original thread from which this discussion was split then the original intention was simply to collate details of fixed term lump sum deposits. Whether or not these are suitable for some people is an individual decision.

Yes ,Clubman, It is an individual decision but so are most things in life but for good advice ,I cant see the point. You might as well show An Post rates because none of the rates are really a runner with what is coming down the line.

What specific An Post rates? I don't know of any that come near to those on offer in this context. And who is "advising" anybody to take up the rates listed in the original thread?

What specific An Post rates? I don't know of any that come near to those on offer in this context. And who is "advising" anybody to take up the rates listed in the original thread?

Your site is great for keeping those interested in rates which means putting your money in the best possibe place which to me means advice ,implied or otherwise.

Just to clarify - it's not "my" site. I just happend to be one of the moderators/administrators. I disagree that hosting or publishing information necessarily implies any advice or invitation to treat etc.

Hi jpd,

Now, now folks,

Levelpar has a point. It does not seem to make sense to be saving in a fixed term account at the minute. Because the rates are not near matching the variable, that I know of any how. The only logic for the banks offering it at the minute is as jpd said "for the banks them selves".

But it would be interesting to know of anyone considering Fixed term and there reasons?

Regarding the waste posts, while fixed term saving at the minute might not suit me, I think people are entitled to post whatever within the given topic.

Hey guys,
Pretty new to all this. Have about €13 k sitting in an ordinary AIB current account and am wondering what the heck to do with it so it will make me a bit more money? Any advice you can give woruld be greatly appreciated. Should I leave it where it is while the rates continue to go up?

I know very little about financial stuff.

Cheers,
M

There's really no point leaving it where it is - you're getting no interest on it, which means the real value of the lump sum is actually going down.

What you should or could do depends on when or if you need the money, and how much risk you're prepared to accept. If you expect significant further rate rises, you could consider putting it into a short term fixed rate bond (three or six months) while you wait for interest rate hikes. On those you should get about 3.5%.

To maximise your interest on a very low risk approach, you could put it on deposit with Rabo or Northern Rock (over 4%.. check out savings and investment, or financial best buys forum), and maybe drip-feed into a high interest regular saver account - AIB's is giving about 7% on new regular savings, though this is for a limited period. If rates go up - as expected - you could then transfer your lump sum into a higher-interest fixed rate account.

If you're prepared to take more risk, and take a longer term approach, you could buy into tracker funds - but note that there is a risk to your capital with almost all of these, and you have to be prepared to leave your money in for longer.

There's no one right answer, but letting it sit in your current account is of no benefit at all... except to the bank!

Back