DIY ski holiday over Easter - best airports and resort

Art

We are looking to plan a 5 day ski holiday from about the 20th to the 25th of March. We're totally flexible with locations and will be happy to fly from Dublin with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus. We're all intermediate skiiers. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to where would be good places to go?

I was in Cervinia, Italy this time last year. You'd fly direct from Dublin to Turin. The resort was really good. You can also venture over the hills into Austria (with yizzer passport!) so there's plenty of scope if the Cervinian slopes aren't enough for you.

I'm not sure how transfer times compare to other European resorts. I think it took about two hours to get to from the airport, which is pretty standard, I reckon.

Anyway, enjoy!

Cheers for this. I just checked Dublin Turin and unfortunately the flights on both days seem to be full

That's a pity.

Zermatt is the Austrian side so maybe you could get a flight to somewhere near there instead?

Friends of mine go to Andorra quite a bit but the snowfall there has been pretty poor this year. Some others went to France around New Year and had a great time. I'll find out the name of the resort if France if it's of any interest to you.

Make sure you check the snowfall - both historic and what it's been doing this month. You'd be gutted to arrive somewhere and be scooting down the mountain on grass!

Hi

Fly Dublin - Salzburg with RA or AL (reasonable fares both), take a train or bus transfer (about 1.5 hrs and 35 euro in a mini-bus, cheaper on train) direct to Zell am See. Kaprun Glacier is also nearby. You can book the transfers and accom. in Zell online, as well as book ski rental online in advance in Intersport in Zell!

S

Thanks for this. The Aer Lingus flights are booked out on these dates and the Ryanair one doesent get back in that night until 23.00 and one of our party has to travel down to Galway straightaway so I don't think that will work

Cervina is a good spot for snow, Zermatt the other side of the mountain is Switzerland, not Austria so bring your passport when on the slopes!
Easter is a busy time in most resorts so you'll need to book early.

That's a pity.

Some others went to France around New Year and had a great time. I'll find out the name of the resort if France if it's of any interest to you.

Would you mind getting the name of this resort for me. Turin and therefore Cervinia is out because of the flights - did some research last night and looks like we'll have to fly to either Munich or Basel - does anyone know any good resorts near these airports?

we're heading to val d'isere the week before you want to go everywhere snowsure was booked up because its easter and mid-term breaks. To get around it we are flying out from Birmingham, the time you want to go is peak!

Someone I know recently came back from Zakopane in Poland.

Loved it there.

You can fly from Shannon or dublin I believe to krakow and take a bus or train to Zakopane.

Cervina is a good spot for snow, Zermatt the other side of the mountain is Switzerland, not Austria so bring your passport when on the slopes!
quote]

Oops - I should have paid attention in geography class!

Alpe d'heuz is the resort in France that I mentioned before

Fly into Zurich with Swiss. Flights are 125 return and they don't charge extra like the other airlines for bringing your skis, snowboard or boots.

From Zurich you have a choice of well over 20 resorts in Switzerland, Austria and even France within 2.5 hours travel.
Nearest big resort is Flims Laax within 1 hour.

Flights to Grenoble might be an option too - RA fly there (not sure what days) and there are loads of ski resorts within a couple of hours drive.

we always fly to Milan and go from there....Its an easy 3 hour drive to Courmayeur/Chamonix, a very easy two hours to the Monte Rosa, a more difficult 4/5 hours to the Dolomites. The reason we go to milan is that you are right betweeen all the different options and milan is serviced by three airports and a number of different airlines.

Thanks for all of the replies folks. We have just booked flights to Munich as we got a very good deal - €110 each including taxes charges and baggage. The next problem is where to go from there? Can anyone suggest a good resort high up (as its late in the season) that is within a couple of hours train ride of Munich and that may have accommodation around that busy time.

There was a good post here in early January (I think) which covered a number of resorts which were easily reachable from Munich. Have a go with the search engine. There was one resort listed which was reachable from central Munich by subway (or s-bahn)

Trains south from Munich through to Austria will bring you on to one of the rail routes which link a lot of the ski resorts in Austria, so you shouldn't have any problem getting to the resorts, but you might have to work out the timings so you don't spend half your day waiting for planes, then subways, then trains, then connecting trains. Munich airport is the best part of an hour north of Munich by subway and down to the Austrian resorts will be a good two hours at a minimum.

Have a look here - http://www.oebb.at/ or here - http://www.bahn.ie for routings and pricings.

I have bought tickets from DB and OBB before - both times the tickets arrived well in advance, seats were reserved, etc . . . so it is easy enough to book and well worth it if travelling at a busy time.

z

Back