DIY or Plasterer needed?

house_hunter

Hi,

I am renovating my kitchen area and while ripping off the tiles on the walls I had accidently made a couple of small holes 3-4 cm in diamter on the plaster board. I don't know whether I can fix it myself by going through some DIY websites or to get a plasterer for it. How much do you think a plasterer would cost do this kind of minor works on the plasterboards? Any suggestion or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you tiling again on top? If so, the finish is not that important.

Layers of polyfilla should be OK for that size of hole.

DIY.... plasterer isn't going to come out for a 20min job and charge less than half a day (upwards of €200)

buy a bag of bonding from your local builders providers.( follow instructions on bag)
it fills large holes in plasterboard then go over it with polyfilla when dry and then sand when the polyfilla is dry.
easy peasy ( is that hows it's spelt )

i rently got downlights put into my kitchen and there was many a hole left behind (from a few mil to a few inches in diameter). I filled them with polyfiller and have left them to dry over night. Im going back over to the house tonight and would love to get the surface as smooth as the rest of the ceiling before her good self gets home from a trip away. at the moment it looks very rough. whats the best way to get it smoothed off? please elaborate on where to get and what to get if recomending sand paper/blocks as im a novice..... but im starting to enjoy the whole DIY (he says prior to herself seeing the butcher job on the ceiling at the moment:) )
thanks as always

Probably the easiest way to get a good finish on holes of this size is to use a broad 3" or 4" flexible filling knife, held at an angle to the surface whilst smoothing the filler. If filling large holes they should be filled in stages, allowing intermediate layers to set before filling again. Dampen the filler once it starts to go off to allow you to trowel it again. In such a situation i would prefer to use a plasterer's finishing trowel and gypsum pinnacle skimcoat, where large holes are concerned. With gypsum you can keep wetting it and trowelling it to achieve the best surface finish- but this is a technique that has to be learned. When finished use an abrasive sponge block and sand in an rbital fashion, checking the surface regularly with palm of your hand.

okay so i went over again today and had a look at what was left by the polly filler. The surface is solid and very rough. I start going at it with a sanding block and some elbow grease but after a few minutes and alot of dust in my face i gave up. It was alot smoother but by no means level with the original ceiling surface. I painted the patched area and it has made a bit of a difference in hiding the area. However, im wondering is there anyway that i can get the patched area level with the original ceiling level?
thanks for the advice so far

Don't be afraid to go at it with a small electric sander (orbital type) using a fine grit paper. Paint will actually highlight any surface discrepancies.

Back