DIY Granite wall and piers

alert

Hi all,

Just off the 'phone from a builder, for a quote for building an 18m granite wall and placing 4 granite piers for to hang gates and contain wall at front of my house, +Eur2K, (not including vat), for labour, I was also informed that I would have to organise digger and foundations, and hire them a teleporter for 4 or 5 days as they had no lifting gear.

Can anyone tell me just what I will be getting for my money? As far as I can see I'm paying him to lift the granite blocks and 4 piers onto the foundations, then mortor same into place, .. am I missing something here?

Thanks,

ALERT.

Sounds like you've purchased one of those DIY granite walls from a mine in China that goes together like lego.

2 skilled wo/men with a spirt level and trowel for 3 or 4 days. €2000 doesn't seem that expensive especially since you have comeback to a builder in the event of any trouble, ie your not paying cash to the local brickie.

The annoying thing though is that these guys don't seem willing to take on building the foundation. Who wants the hassle of employing two different contractos when building a simple wall. And why don't the blocklayers handle the hiring of the teleporter too? More hassle for you.

I wonder did Alert mean the digger for the foundations. The builder would come and direct the jcb driver and pour the foundation.

In most cases teleporters are hired with drivers - most big builders have them nowadays so maybe you could ask someone like this to do a few hours work for you - Teleporters can be expensive to hire. Maybe a JCB could do the same job for you - depending on the height that you need to lift...

Back