DIY Divorce Book

Wellington

Hi - I know some people have spoken about this already but I'm looking to do a DIY divorce. We've done our separation agreement, been in mediation and there are not issues, this is a formality.

Has anyone done this themselves?
Can anyone recommend a good guide book?

All advice would be gratefully received.

@Wellington

Ah an amicable divorce - never heard of one.

However - the Law Society Family Law manual isn't quite a DIY guide but I would view it as
one of the most comprehensive.

It is technically possible to do this yourself - h/ever if everything is on the table and worked out it should be possible to get this for a reasonable fee.

As these matters are in camera it is diffocult to tell you whether there has been one or a 1000 self divorce cases.

Usually the concern is that one party - usually the Wife - is in the most vulnerable position and is the one that most needs advice.

You could qualify for Legal Aid depending on Income.

I would read the Law Society book to see if you really have an appetite for this.
Its about €65.

you'll find more information on boards.ie there are a few threads with helpful info on DIY divorces

Here's the one that my ex and I used:

We found it very straightforward, and it got us through the process very easily.

WizardDr;1316957 Ah an amicable divorce - never heard of one. Usually the concern is that one party - usually the Wife - is in the most vulnerable position and is the one that most needs advice. .[/QUOTE said:
People can and do separate/divorce amicable. It can be done.

I find the statement that a wife is in a vulnerable position extraordinary in this day and age.

In an economic downturn, particularly, people need to be sensible and not have unrealistic expectations. 2 households is going to cost a lot more than one and people cannot expect to keep up to the standards of a previous lifestyle if they divorced.

@Bronte - I suppose the backlog in maintenance payments in the District Court is wives not paying? According to the Social Welafre annual reports for the last number of years the level of one parent allowances paid out because of non payment of maintenance seems to affect wives more than husbands. I wished it weren't so - but thats what I glean from what I read.

Back