DIY Car Service

thespecialon

Any1 here ever service there own car? I own a 1.4litre petrol just wondering if any1 would care to share their experince on doing this?
I was looking at initially just doing oil.oil filter,air filter + fuel filter.
Or can anyone recommend any good websites on this , books or courses?
What tools would I need for instance?

If you are serious about this you should probably invest in a good Haines Manual; this will give you the information you require plus advice on tools to purchase etc.

Do you mean there is a 'haines Manual' for most types of cars? Excuse the ignorance but would i get one of these in a bookshop,online or where?

Thanks Ronan just went to MickGarage.ie and ordered the manual- should be an interesting experience trying this

to be honest the manual is good helping you figure out problems with the car without being ripped off by mechanics..

oil change and oil filter is a easy job...
its better if u can find a good independent mechanic they can tell if the car doesn't sound right..
especially when it comes to Timing belt and brakes etc..
Haynes manual in my opinion is pretty mechanics orientated info.

the question is if u can find one good mechanic u can really trust?

Do an evening course in car maintance. Stop you making stupid mistakes like cross threading the oil sump nut. No of course I've never done that....

A car service is essentially. Check and/or replace the fluids. Check brakes, tyres, wheels, check for suspension wear and tear. Investigate any odd noises. perhaps do a tune. The latter on a modern car often needs a computer which you don't have. I don't bother with a tune unless the car isn't running well. My local guy has the gear to do a tune so I just drop it into him for that.

A local mechanic would probably do a cheap deal for you if he new he didn't have do the oil change and check the mundane stuff.

I work in a garage and this the sort of stuff that annoys me, People want us to be so green, Put our carboard boxes into the carboard machine, Ring oil disposal companies and buy these huge expensive oil holding tanks, dispose of all used oil filters and fuel filters safetly and brake pads with there very harmful components to the whole green thing. Now I do admit some people do get ripped off most go to back street garages and think they got a deal coz it was cheap. But honsetly to all those here doing the whole DIY service thing are you going to dispose of the harmful products your car produced environmentaly? or just F**k it in the bit and then the next time you see rubbish on the street or on the road or in the ditch give out when what you have just done is a 100 times worse?

Hi MR2,

A quick question for a mechanic if you would please ha ha , when im chaging gears i can hear this 'klunky' noise coming from what appears to be under the car.ITs especially noticeable when changing from 1st to 2nd gear...any ideas?

If it's just while changing gears like that and nothing else it could just be signs of wear in the gears or if it's only slight I'd change the gearoil in the box most people very rarely change this, But could save the life of the box.

where would you recommend getting the gearbox oil changed?

and how much would that roughly cost?

I'd go to a main dealer for this because gearbox's don't come with a dipstick like an engine and you can't make out how much is needed(unless it's auto) but on the car spec sheet's we have it tells us. Gearoil is a bit more expensive than normal oil but you use less (1.5lt to 3lt), €60.00 prob do most.

I know I just bring my filter and waste oil to the local dump and they dispose it for free

Megan I know that, But pennypincher doesn't at her dump and me as a private individual has had to pay in my local dump when I go.

RE: Sevicing yourself

Our family and extended family have always serviced our cars ourselves last year though my brother brought the oil, and filter to the local garage and asked the guy how much for a change - €20

So no mess, and you know theres a good filter and good oil gone in to the car. Mechanic can do it in less time than it takes you to clean up. Well worth the 20 euros.

As for airfilter that takes less than a minute.

RE: Changing gear oil

This is highly recommended in some cars .. the almeras for instance. It is no more complicated than changing engine oil. You may need a large alan key or square tool to remove the stud. The stud will often have a magnet on it to catch and metal floating about do your best to clean the swarf off this.

The manual will explain how to measure the level.

Haynes manuals have photos etc , so should be easy to follow for the simpler jobs- just dont get ahead of yourself and end with a car and lots of spares bits!!!!!!!!!

www.bookdepository.co.uk is a good shop for book - cheap and postage is included.

MR2 - you work in main dealer or just in your own garage?