Divorce (undervalue of family home)

Kenny shaw

Hi guys,
My sister is currently going through divorce proceedings.
Her ex is having the property valued by his mate (an auctioneer) with the intention of under valuing the property.
What options are open to her in dealing with this auctioneer?
Surely this behaviour is illegal.
Thank you

Why does she not just get her own valuer?

It will be very difficult to value, or argue with a valuation, in the current uncertain environment.

Brendan

As per any house valuation, look at recent property sales in the area for similiar properties.

Hi guys,
Her ex is having the property valued by his mate (an auctioneer) with the intention of under valuing the property.
Thank you

It's not a question of law.

She should suggest either something like three independent valuations and take an average or if the ex insists on having his friend, I'd want 5 valuations, drop the highest and lowest and then average them.

I'd imagine, if it goes to court, if it isn't a agreed valuation of the house, it will go through some similar process.

If this matter goes before a Judge get your solicitor to make an application to get an independent valuation although the sensible approach would be to have your solicitor write to his solicitor and inform him that you will be seeking an independent valuation now. The approach of getting three valuations as suggested above and working out an average is good.
In any case a message needs to go to this gent that your sister is not going to be ripped off. The marriage is over and its everyone for themselves

Hi guys,
Thank you
Any chance they could divvy up the assets and divide equally , ensuring kids if any are accounted for ? Diy divorce done for under 1500 euro .... more money for the legal crowd with the crack she’s at.... ultimately ensuring a very big bill and less for both ..

It's not a question of law.

She should suggest either something like three independent valuations and take an average or if the ex insists on having his friend, I'd want 5 valuations, drop the highest and lowest and then average them.

I'd imagine, if it goes to court, if it isn't a agreed valuation of the house, it will go through some similar process.
I wonder how much 5 valuations would cost. What a waste of presumably hard earned income over the years.

I wonder how much 5 valuations would cost. What a waste of presumably hard earned income over the years.
That's not the point! If the sister's ex is indeed doing a stitch up with a mate, then the prospect alone of getting alternative valuations will bring a bit of reality to the conversation. If it came to it, a few valuations would be no more than about a grand.
An undervaluation of say 20k would cost the OP's sister 10k. And it could be much more. The valuation cost is peanuts in comparison.

As a separate but related issue, if the sister + ex were willing to consider mediation, it can take a long of the sting out of proceedings and greatly reduce the cost.

@fidelcastro - how many times have you sold a house? (Your own I mean)
Enough times to know how expensive it is!. I have required valuations recently that cost 400Euro a pop, money for old rope for an an estate agent to take a few pictures, and bind an "official" simple report for a mornings "work".
5*400E = complete waste of money, for ordinary people, when a single transaction between amicable parties would suffice.

But yes, I'm not in the OP's shoes, and as BBoomer writes mediation could be better use of same money.

Last edited:
The going rate in Dublin is €150, you don't get on some of the bank panels if you're charging more. Sounds like you didn't shop around,

It's clear from the OP that this isn't such a situation.
Good to hear - properties not in Dublin so "shopping around" not an option, banks are not involved - dont need to use them thank you..

Last edited:
fidelcastro,

Please do yourself and everyone else a favour by reading people’s posts before you contribute. Your scattergun approach pays very little heed to the detail of the discussion. It’s both amusing and frustrating which is not a good combination.

Gordon

Reactions: Leo
Back