Divorce - Here or UK?

brokendown

The wife and I have separated. She is originally from the UK, we were married there although we lived here for some years until the split. She is now back domiciled in the UK. We have decided to divorce and have the bones of an 'amicable' agreement. There is one child who was born here. Should we divorce there or here? Obviously its quicker there, but has anyone been through this situation and would like to share their experience or offer any advice regarding the potential implications?

If you wish to pursue a divorce by common consent, it is less traumatic and less costly to progress proceedings through the UK courts than here.

Potted history - married UK born / UK passport holder in Ireland, divorced by common consent in the UK where ex was domiciled, remarried in Channel Islands ("foreign divorces" recognised in Ireland in the interim), divorced in Ireland by mutual agreement after 5-year separation.

This business of not recognising UK divorces here is crazy. Why should someone be forced to get divorced twice?

This business of not recognising UK divorces here is crazy. Why should someone be forced to get divorced twice?

I've had these cases - my favourite was the client who was married in Ireland, divorced in UK ( by lying about domicile), got a Church Annulment in Ireland and then entered into a Separation Agreement and was outraged when the Registrar refused ( quite rightly) to accept that the UK Divorce was valid.

Legitimate Foreign Divorces are no problem. The furtive, downright suspect, ones are.

mf