Dividend cheque to deceased parent - acc. payee only

elcato

My deceased father received a small cheque as final payment from shares bought years ago. The cheque is made out to him and is account payee only. I have a oopy of the death cert. Just wondering is it as easy as writing a letter back with a copy of the death certificate and asking them to re-issue the cheque to my mother, his next of kin ? The cheque is only for €40 so is it worth doing at all ? Would the bank accept the cheque into my mothers account if the death certificate was shown to them ?

I lodged an 'Account Payee' cheque in the automatic lodgement machine in my local branch which was made out to a relative who didn't have an account. There was no problem.

I lodged an 'Account Payee' cheque in the automatic lodgement machine in my local branch which was made out to a relative who didn't have an account. There was no problem.

I wouldn't have thought that would process. That is worrying that a cheque for account payee can be lodged to another person's account. I can understand it if 2 people have the same first name and surname.

If it's only for a small amount, then I doubt that automatically lodged cheques are checked at all.

Simply lodge the cheque by ATM to your mother's bank account.

I doubt if they will check it or reject it.

If they do, then first try to get the bank to accept it.

Trying to get a large shareholder services company to reissue a cheque is a nightmare. They will ask for all sorts of legal paperwork to protect themselves.

Back