Ditching Virgin Media for free TV

Shaz

Hi,
I live in Clane Co Kildare and will be purchasing a Sony Android TV from Harvey Norman. I am currently with Virgin Media and would like to ditch it for free TV. I would like to receive Irish as well as the main UK channels like BBC channels and Channel 4. I would also like to be able to do series link record, pause and rewind live TV as well as record one channel while watching another. What equipment do I require? What are the disadvantages of free tv vs Virgin Media/Sky? Thanks.

You'll need a combi Saorview & FreeSat box.

The main disadvantage is you will not receive the premium channels, the user interface will not be as good as Sky's and some of the combi boxes can take some time to set up and get used to. How much a disadvantage that really is, only you can decide. You're talking €3-400 for a good combi box, and if you don't have one already, you'll need to install a satellite dish, possible an external aerial for Saorview and run multiple cables.

I did this recently and I am totally happy with just the main Irish and UK channels plus 135 other channels, many rubbish but some worth having, and all free once you get it set up.

However my combo box is useless. It is supposed to do all these things but regularly fails to record, sometimes freezes as well. It is a "Walker" brand and cost €150. I would be grateful if anyone can suggest a better alternative. Thanks

Hello,

I have a Technomate TM-Nano 3T Tripple Tuner with a 500mb of memory. It is connected to both a satellite dish and saorview ariel and cost me circa €350 (excl. instalation as I was already set up, had a dish etc.).

The machine allows me to watch both Saorview and Satellite tv via the one box. I can record from either Satellite or Saorview, while watching the other, or while watching another satellite tv station. The machine can also do various other things, although I'm not technical enough to get the full benefits.

Overall, I am very happy with the machine and I am happy to recommend the retailer (if you wish).

Back