Ditch the Tricolour !!

Pique318

Kevin Myers article on the Irish tricolour

Here's an article to polarise opinion....

Personally, I would have no problem in ditching the Tricolour for something more distinctive and instantly recognisable as Irelands flag (instead of being confused with the Italian or Cote d'Ivoire flags).

The Harp is the obvious choice, or the Shamrock, but I'd hate to see Aer Lingus being our 'Flag Carrier', and the Leinster flag would be very close to the Harp on a background 'national' flag.

Ideas, opinions ?

And let's keep it friendly, ok ?

ps, Someone should tell Myers that black is not a primary colour, and that green actually is !

When did green become a primary colour? I was always taught blue, yellow and red, although it is possible to create a secondary yellow.

Ideas, opinions ?
Leave well enough alone? Who cares if some national flags are confused with others? On the other hand if you want something instantly recognisable how about [broken link removed] although the primary colours might upset some people and the nation might have to become a franchisee first.

Leave well enough alone?

Agreed!

Also, I'm quite attached to the true meaning of the Tricolour - peace between the two traditions on our island. Changing the national flag would require a referendum to amend the constitution (art 7

I think we should leave the flag well enough alone; AFAIK the three primary colours are: Red, Yellow and Blue (in printing terms: Magenta, Yellow and Cyan). Black is not a colour as such....

Black is not a colour as such....
Indeed...

I definitely think there's something in this. I think we should set up a body to enquire into the legality of changing, engage very expensive pr and media consultants to run a campaign and canvas public opinion, not listen to it, order a billion new flags from a hugely expensive company ( with links to at least one of our ministers) before deciding it was a huge mistake and yet another waste of public funds. I'd like to be chairperson of the body appointed to deal with this, at a large salary plus expenses, and I vow I will take at least 10 years before I do anything much at all.

How about a text/phone driven competition on RTÉ on Sunday nights? "You're a Flag" or something like that? Just surreptitiously rig the competition and hit people for twice the quoted text/phone charges and we'll soon also make up for all that lost stamp duty revenue this year.

You can be sure our beloved leader has a plan already lined up to sort out that deficit Clubman!

Why not do what Aer lingus did and pay some smart lad a fortune so that they can come up with the idea of tilting the colour bands a bit?

Why not do what Aer lingus did and pay some smart lad a fortune so that they can come up with the idea of tilting the colour bands a bit?
Or just keep the flag and tilt all flagpoles at an angle? No charge for that advice - I am just honoured to serve my country.

I could see it being changed but maybe in the context of a 32 county "state", Amhran na bFhiann (sp?) would also go and we'd re-join the commonwealth. Dont know if the "prize" of 32 together would be worth it.

I like the flag and even if it gets replaced its not like it cant and wont be reproduced - I dont know if the conderate flag has any status anymore but those that hold it dear still wave it. As regards alternatives - a gold harp on a dark green flag would seem to be the obvious choice (and I'm sure Guinness would be delira too!)

Other points:
I cant know why Myers would want red & blue etc., absolutely no link to the country.
Anyone else a bit peeved that the tricolour has been hijacked by the Shinners and that for a long time (& still??) to be seen with a tricolour would nearly mark you out as a "republican".

.... and the big question... how would "Davy Keogh says hello" and "Fleurys of Ballymuckage (fictitious)" look on this new flag ??

Often thought that the St Patricks Blue (in the Dail) would lend a nice backdrop to a gold harp.

You have to wonder about the thoughts behind the article when it's from the same man who said "The soldiers song is a disgrace in international terms"; Who recently said "Ireland's call has no place in the international arena" and then wrote a wonderful article congratulating Argentina in a way that even Dunph in his most blinkered and sickeningly odd way wouldn't dare to utter.

If we change due to mix ups, then: all those horizontalists need to change to: Holland, Luxemburg. Austria and Latvia; Russia, Serbia, Croatia (take away the emblems and then what). Australia, New Zealand and other ex-British holdings (stroll by a marina and can you tell what is from the BIV etc?).

If we're going to change I'm for something along the lines of the 'Stans, not Mr. Staunton or Vanilla not-Nice, but Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc. They have interesting anthems and flags, and for us....

A green flag, a leprechaun, crock of gold, pint of guinness, hurley and brown envelope.

Don't forget to build in €700K-odd to the costings for ongoing [broken link removed].

Now that is better thn I ever could have imagined!!!

I'm surprised you haven't suggested changing to flag to a red and black mix?

IMHO I'd like to leave well enough alone. I've yet to see the flag they were using in France for the world cup, but I don't know if Mr. Myers gets out of the country so often, well, UK aside, as the tricolour is a very recognisable symbol of Ireland, and gets a fair bit of goodwill!

Hibernistan?