District court case for problem with an adjacent burglar alarm that keeps going off.

E

eroica

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with a burglar alarm that keeps going off across the road from me.

It's very irritating and goes off about three times a week outside business hours. I have spoken to the owner a couple of times and have asked the local authority to speak to him as well.

He basically says that everytime it goes off the place is being broken into, so the local authority have said they can't do anything as they can't prove otherwise.

I know the guy isn't telling the truth, and it looks like I'm going to have to go down the district court route now. I'm bascially going to ask them to place an order on him whereby he has to report a break in to the gardai each time it goes off.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of such cases? I'm a bit worried that if the court ruled against me I could be sued by him for damages.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks.

I don't think you can force someone to report a crime. Maybe he is already reporting the break-in's. And even if you got that ridiculous court order, how can you prove he is complying with it? It's crazy and you'll waste time and money going that route.

Look at other routes like the noise regulations around how long alarms can sound for etc. (I think it used to be 22 mins before they must go silent with strobe continuing)

Why not do him a great favour and phone the Gardai whenever you hear the bell going. If you look carefully enough at the scent, you might even be able to tell Gardai that the robbers are armed. He will get into some bit of bother if there are three false alarms in the year, but no one can fault you for being a good citizen

Correct me if i am wrong, but I was under the impression that an alarm must be silenced after 10 minutes of been activated to ensure that neighbouring properties are not been disturbed. Would tend to agree with Ravima that if the Gardai are constantly notified, they will make efforts to have the matter dealt with.

Back