Distributing broadband around the house

ROSS

Hi

I am considering getting broadband and would like to know what I need in order to connect 2 home pc's (one upstairs one downstairs)
The one downstairs is for the kids and is close to a live phone socket but not the main socket where our house phone is connected in the hall.
The pc usptairs is no where near a phone point and I would like a wireless connection for this. What do I need ?
Eircom will give me a free wireless modem under homestarter with a 29.99 connection fee and a 29.99 monthly fee. But I will also need a USB adaptor ?? to plug into the pc upstairs at a cost of €49. Is this correct and is this all I need ?
Perlico do a very attractive 19.99 per month unlimited 1mb connection with a connection fee of 49.99 and will upgrade to a wireless modem for 39.99 ? But I still need to buy a USB thingy for upstairs ?
Please tell me what I must get from the bb supplier and if I can shop around for the usb adaptor. I see argos are doing all sorts of wirelss networking gadgets. Please help and advise on a suitable set up.

Im not sure that any are necessarily better, 1mb broadband is 1mb broadband, all suppliers have their pros and cons so see the BB sticky for where to get info on each. I will say if you can get eircom you can get BT as its cheaper. 40e per month for phone and line inc rental.
Then get yourself a wireless router for the incoming BB line and 2 USB keys so youre not relying on having at least 1 pc connected to the router. See the usual tech vendors (elara.ie, marxcomputers.com, peats, maplin, komplett, pcsmart, pcworld, argos) for offers on routers and USB keys. You should get set up for less then 100e if you shop around. Theyre all much the same.

Wireless cards in the pcs and a wireless router and off you go ..
1 Mbit seems a bit slow though

Hi

Sincere thanks for your prompt replies.
So I can purchase the wireless router and usb keys myself - grand.
Will I need the BB supplier to provide a wireless modem or regular modem -
What's the difference between the router and the modem ?
Am I right to say that I need a regular BB modem from the supplier
and then I connect my wireless router to th BB modem and connect my
usb keys to the PC's and away we go ??

Is a wireless modem just for say a laptop than can be connected anywhere throughout the house ? Do you need a usb kety for this option also ?

With regard to the download speeds and max data transfer, all obviously varies but any advice for a typical home user say 2 - 3 hours a day ?

Many thanks

Will I need the BB supplier to provide a wireless modem or regular modem
eircom or bt will provide a line in with a router. You cna hang your own wireless router off this if you decide not to get a wireless from eircom.

What's the difference between the router and the modem ?
router modem
you would use a modem to transmit a pc signal down an old phone (analog) line. most BB suppliers deliver the line straight ot your house.

Am I right to say that I need a regular BB modem from the supplier
and then I connect my wireless router to th BB modem and connect my
usb keys to the PC's and away we go ??
yes and no, bt will give you a router and you put your wirelss off of that, eircom may give you the router with wireless built in. Im not sure on that. Basically, who ever you get BB off, ask them if they do a wireless version of whatever router they are giving you, if they dont, get your own.

Is a wireless modem just for say a laptop than can be connected anywhere throughout the house ? Do you need a usb kety for this option also ?
a wireless router will send the signal. A laptop with wireless functionality or a wireless card/key will pick up the signal.
With regard to the download speeds and max data transfer, all obviously varies but any advice for a typical home user say 2 - 3 hours a day ?
Really, 1mb is fine.

For what its worth, this is my set up. BB from BT (www.btireland.ie) €20 p.m for 1MB with a 10GB cap. This suits me as I don't download music or video, I'm connected for my first month and have just used over 1GB. It didnt suit me to have phone and BB combined form BT.
I had a wireless router so I used this, but BT offer one for €40. After that I have a dektop and a laptop and both are using a Belkin 54MBps 802.11g key (around €35 + Vat, got mine from Viking Direct).
very straight forward to set up and no probs so far.

Great folks thanks a mill

Was obviously confusing myself with all the jargon !
Will probably go with Perlico as I like both the broadband package (unlimited for 19.99) and the freetalk anytime for 29.99 including line rental. Will price up the various wireless router and usb key options.

cheers again

Back