distance between cooker and window

Mike_C

Mrs_C wants her cooker(5 ring double oven gas/electric combi)close to the window ( not directly under aprrox 2 standard units away) but the guy in the kichen design shop says no because of fire hazard. We will have window blinds in kitchen no curtains Is there a minimum distance that should be left in kitchen between cooker and windows ?

An extactor hood must be located approx. 500- 600mm above a hob so I would think this would be a good separation distance from your kitchen window- although probably not what you want to hear.

Wouldn't two standard units be about 500m each so therefore 1000mm away or am I raving ?

Carpenter said:
An extactor hood must be located approx. 500- 600mm above a hob so I would think this would be a good separation distance from your kitchen window- although probably not what you want to hear.

dont quite understand this? 500-600mm above hob, but how far away from the the window? in my own situation i was hoping that 600mm between end of window and start of hob/extractor would be sufficent?? suppose depends on where you are putting window openings? gas flame being distinguished possibly?? i'm going all elctric myself!

Purely out of curiosity get another kitchen designer (free of charge one, of course, in possibly Cash and Carry Kitchens) to do a design and see if they think it is a problem.

Sounds like rot to me, although there are regs in relation to wall mounted units not being too close to a hob.
We used a reputable kitchen designer and got our hob put near the window - he was skeptical for design reasons but said nothing about fire regs. We have an electric hob - if you are using gas it might be different but I can't see how even gas could pose any hazard at a remove of over 1 metre.

Back