Disposing of old books.

Josey Wales

Hi,

Would anyone have any advice as to the best way to get rid of loads of old books?

They are mainly all fiction and mostly paper back. They are all in top notch condition though. I don’t mind giving them away free, I just don’t like the idea of dumping them in a bin though.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Charity shops should take them. Or take them into work and ask colleagues to help themselves, which should get rid of a few.

If they are popular and in good condition, offer them to your local library?

Leave one on the Dart, bus or train each time you use public transport or leave one each time you visit a coffee shop!

Try a charity shop or do what I did recently - bring them into work and email your pals and colleagues asking if anyone wants one or two. I was amazed at the response I got - in the end I shifted them all (and saved myself a trip to a charity shop). It depends on what type of books they are really i.e. "chick lit", murder mysteries etc

Yes Squonk, your local library might take them. My local took a few from me and were happy to get them. I've also given books to charity shops and purchased books from them. They're often just €1 or €2 which is great for holiday books which might just be making a one way trip.

Definitely don't bin them anyway!

I noticed lately at the Coolmine bring center Oxfam had a bottle bank type of thing for books,very handy. Check out [broken link removed] for local bring place, it was amazing all the stuff that can be recycled in one run.

Another vote here for bookcrossing! You could even bookcross the books you donate to the charity shops.

Another suggestion might be to donate them to a local hospital, nursing home or similar? (Just an idea, dunno if they'll accept them but worth a call if you get to feel warm and fuzzy and worthy while also getting rid of the books)