Disposing of crashed car (02 Honda Accord)

Plek Trum

Long story short...
Neighbour (young man) took my partners car for a drive without permission from the house. He had been drinking and crashed at the end of our rural road. Car suffered front drivers side damage, both air bags deployed etc. (Main thing is he is fine, not a scratch thankfully)

Garage took car away, assessed better to replace than repair due to costs. The lads family will pay immediately the market value for the car, no worries there.

My problem - the garage cant take the car as it is unlikely we will be purchasing a replacement from them. It is a 02 Honda Accord 1.9 - (was) in perfect condition, regular service history, 102k miles.

Is it worth while seeing if anyone would want it for spares OR is it possible to pay someone to come with a truck and remove it from the garage. Located in West Kerry if that helps.

Would you try to sell it or dispose? All opinons welcome, thanks.

I see a lot of ads in papers where people will take away cars free of charge, check your local paper. Cars can be sold for scrap too, so might be another avenue to look into.

Thanks Smashbox - yes, if we could get even a few euro for the car (be it for scrap or spares) it would be a great help. Weren't planning on changing the car for another two years and really, the market value of it, doesnt give alot of room to get something as decent as what we had.

Got the address of a few places in Kerry that might be suitable so will try ringing around tomorrow and see.

It was just taxed for 12 months - is it possible to transfer this onto a new vehicle as 'credit' of some sort?

Be very, very careful how you dispose of the car. If you remain the registered owner and it shows up as being involved in nefarious deeds, you'll have some explaining to do.

The easiest solution might be to ask the family of the young lad to agree to transfer it to their ownership and inform your insurance company (honestly?) that its sold.

If you write it off legitimately, you can get a refund of the road-tax BUT what do you tell the insurance comapny - it was stolen & crashed, but you don't want to pursue a claim?

The young lad was drunk - seriously drunk - saw the keys and took a stupid opportunity for a 'spin'. Dont want to go through the insurance as (a) we will not get the full current value of the car (b) a gardai report would be needed to pursue stolen claim and (c) his family do not want the gardai involved as he needs a vehicle for work.

They have offered to pay for removal costs from the garage too, so that will be covered.

I presume a certificate of disposal or something similiar will be given if the car is sent for scrappage AND / OR a second hand parts dealer would take over ownership as such of the vehicle?

Yes, you get a scrappage cert and send that, the tax disc and the log book (do NOT part with it) off to Shannon for a road-tax refund.

Last edited:
Once you're happy the neighbours will pay, you don't need to inform your insurance, just cancel the policy.
Leo

yes, no need to tel the ins anything, just get a scrappage report from a breakers yard and send the old tax disc in for refund

OP - so how is the young driver being dealt with ? sounds like he's getting a free ride with no consequences - I hope that's not the case.

But as others have said above - if the family are giving you market value for the car it's probably best to agree a fee to cover your expenses/time etc and transfer ownership over to them and let them try scrape some cash back by scrapping the car.

He has been dealt with by his parents... very much so (I almost feel sorry for him at the moment. He will have truely learned his lesson, I assure you!).

I've sourced a dismantlers that are coming to collect the car, will issue scrappage cert etc so will send that and tax disc to Shannon with log book. Hopefully that will be an end to the matter then.. tough few days.

On a side note - does anybody know what the annual motor tax is on a 2008 Ford Kuga (diesel)? I think my partner is getting slightly carried away with the prospect of 'car-shopping'.. !

... you don't need to inform your insurance ...
... no need to tel the ins anything ...
I take it guys you either haven't read you insurance policies lately or maybe you don't understand the contract.

"Section XX - Loss of or damage to the insured vehicle ...You must let us know immediately about any incident involving loss or damage to the vehicle ..."

This is a direct quotation from my policy, but they will all have some similar wording as part of the contract.

Back