Disposal of top soil

RobAMerc

I am going to dig out the front garden sometime over the coming weeks, the area is about 15sqm by 4 inches deep

Would I need a skip for this or could I get away with a few fills of the bin ( 3 or 4 * €8 tags is reasonable I think)

Or am i way off ?

I doubt anyone would be interested in taking such a small load would they?

Thanks for the help guys

I would imagine that no one is going to travel to collect the topsoil, what I would suggest is talking to one or two of the neighbors who have nice gardens or someone who has bought a new house and might be doing up a raised bed in the garden. Put up a little note in your local shop and I am sure someone would be delighted to take it.

Would I need a skip for this or could I get away with a few fills of the bin ( 3 or 4 * €8 tags is reasonable I think)

Or am i way off ?

From personal experience, that would be way off. Even a small amount of topsoil (large wheely bin a third full) is really heavy. I doubt the bin men would take a bin completely full. They probably wouldn't be able to budge it.

The neighbours idea sounds much better.

If it could be worked in to your plan, then this soil could be used to create a few raised beds.

thanks for all the advice guys

I know nothing about the garden (except where it is) so please forgive this silly question, but if I used it in raised beds wouldn't the grass I dig up grow up through it ?

thanks again

thanks for all the advice guys

I know nothing about the garden (except where it is) so please forgive this silly question, but if I used it in raised beds wouldn't the grass I dig up grow up through it ?

thanks again

You've a couple of options - either skim off the turf (grass and roots - about 2 inches deep) and dispose of, or better, skim off the turf, put it grass side down (i.e. roots facing upwards) at the bottom of your raised beds, then put the rest of the soil in on top of the turves - the grass and roots will decompose, enriching the soil and (provided they're covered by say 12 inches of soil at least) will not grow up through the raised beds.

Unlikely you'll find anyone to take this type of waste, clean topsoil is a different matter, ie no sods etc

According to your measurements you'll have approx 1.5 cu m, which isn't a lot except for wheelie bins. A mini skip will cost € 120.00, so a better alternative would be a baby skip bag (you get them at the local DIY/Builder stores. I think they cost € 50.00 +/-.

This way allows you to clear area and not get fussed with Raised Beds and handling bits of sod etc etc. Probably more grief than its worth to you.

If you were not in a hurry you could spray grass area and effectively kill everything. At least you'd have 'cleaner' soil for disposal or distribution.